Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Skyrim-er requires advice on new hardware!

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 95 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
10-Mar-2012, 10:15 AM #1
Skyrim-er requires advice on new hardware!
Having been enthralled for months now by the newly released instalment of the Elder Scrolls games I find myself wanting to get as much out of the game as there is to offer. My PC is a 'semi-self' build and is now approaching its 2nd birthday... I am still extraordinarily happy with the way it performs and still amazed at how little time it takes to boot up. The problem is I built this machine with a budget that didn't allow me to futureproof it for more than a couple of years without showing signs of stress from the newest games.

Here's what's what at the moment:
  • Asus P7P55D-E MoBo
  • Intel Core i5 760 2.8GHz OC'd to 4GHz
  • 4GB (2x2GB) Corsair Dominator 1600MHz CAS 9-9-9-24
  • Corsair 750W PSU
  • 1GB XFX HD5850 BlackEdition
  • OCZ 90GB Vertex 2 SSD
  • 1GB Samsung SpinPoint F3

During my many hours of Skyrim-ing (I should probably note here that I spend just as much time modding my game as I do playing it) I have found that my 4GB of RAM are being pushed over 95% capacity which hardly surprises me considering over 50% is being used now with a few webpages, skype and windows mail open. So here is my first question to you: What should I do about my memory 'crisis'? Do I attempt to purchase another 2x2GB sticks of my Dominator memory? (which to be fair does get a 7.7 on the windows performance index) Or do I replace the memory altogether with something like the Corsair Vengeance? If I do scrap the dominator memory is it worth going to 16GB for additional future-proofing?

The second thing on my mind at the moment is replacing my graphics card. I have found that in order to get playable frame rates at my native (1920x1080) resolution on Ultra settings I have had to drop AA to x0 and AF to x2 - even at these settings I am still stuttering in demanding areas. As it stands at the moment there isn't that much available in the mid-range market and replacing my graphics card isn't of utmost importance. It'd probably be a couple of months before I take the plunge at any rate. Having said that if I set an upper limit of 250 (about $350) for a replacement card - what would you suggest and how much difference do you think a new card would make?

I'm fairly happy with my CPU at the moment its never been pushed much over 50% capacity to date which gives me some peace of mind and will likely serve me well for a while longer. RAM and GPU are my main concerns... Your opinions and suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
Computer Specs
Member with 95 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
12-Mar-2012, 09:53 AM #2
So I'm a little disappointed that no one had any suggestions to throw my way yet... maybe you'll have an opinion on this:

Corsair 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz Vengeance Blue Memory Kit CL9 (9-9-9-24) 1.5V
G-Skill 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz RipjawsZ X79 Memory Kit CL9 1.5V
Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 1600Mhz CL9 1.5V

All are roughly the same price at ~80. Anyone have a recommendation?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
gpu, ram, skyrim, upgrade

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!