Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Nvidia GeForce GT 540M w/ Optimus crashing constantly

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 4 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
11-Mar-2012, 04:17 AM #1
Nvidia GeForce GT 540M w/ Optimus crashing constantly
Hello everybody. I just bought a new laptop after 4 years of somehow joyous experience with an Acer. I decided it was time to upgrade to newer generation technology, so i decided to go with Asus N53SV:

- Intel Core i7-2670QM CPU@2,20 GHz
- 500 GB 7200 rpm HDD
- 8 GB DDR3 1333MHz, 2/4 slots available
- of course, nVIDIA GT 540M with Optimus Technology

The laptop came with a 4GB memory module as a gift, and i decided to buy ANOTHER memory module just like the one they gave me as a gift (Silicon Power brand) so i would make use of 16GB ram. They were so cool about it they even mounted it on the motherboard in front of me and checked with BIOS to be sure it's recognized.
I went home and started to install the drivers with the Asus app on the CD that came in the box (on Win 7 Ultimate x64 SP1). I made a system restore point before installing anything, just to be sure i can roll back if anything happens during the install. The ASUS app on the CD is so crappy as it reboots your computer after almost each driver. So the first drivers to be installed was one of the 2 VGAs, and i'm pretty sure it's the driver for Intel HD Graphics. The OS was rebooted and after 5seconds of windows i got a BSOD. Got into safe mode, rolled back with system restore, and decided to start over. Happened again. Decided to install everything on the CD except the VGAs. It went well, no BSODs. Made a restore point and tried again with the VGA drivers, BSOD again. I tried everything, from installing the drivers from the Asus support site or Intel/nVIDIA sites to installing the drivers with Windows Update, but still got the BSOD. Decided to check on the memory modules. I removed them one by one and turns out that one of the two Silicon Power modules gives the BSODs. So i remained with 12GB and succesfully installed the VGAs drivers witout BSOD. Everything went well for a few hours until something else happened. The display started to flicker and the sound went crazy (OS freezed). The only way to stop it is to turn it off by the power button and restart. I tried updating the drivers to the latest available but it didn't make a difference. The thing still happens constantly and I'm starting to freak out cause I need to work on my diploma on the laptop.

Any solutions yet?
PLEASE help.
Thank you!
Computer Specs
Moderator with 43,378 posts.

Experience: Advanced
11-Mar-2012, 12:18 PM #2
Does it work properly if you remove the second Silicon Power memory module?

Last edited by Triple6; 11-Mar-2012 at 12:37 PM..
Computer Specs
Member with 4 posts.

12-Mar-2012, 03:24 AM #3
Hello,

I'm trying it today, removed the second Silicon Power too, and now running only with the original 2x4GB memory modules.

Thank you for your interest.
Computer Specs
Member with 4 posts.

13-Mar-2012, 09:20 AM #4
No problems whatsoever when running only on the original 8GB modules. I wonder why are they giving the Silicon as gifts if they're causing problems. What should I do, ask them to change the modules or go with the laptop in service?
Computer Specs

13-Mar-2012, 03:56 PM #5
Who gave you the memory modules? Asus or a retailer? Maybe they didn't test them for properly compatibility or they are just faulty. I'd take the memory back and complain that its causes problems with your laptop.
Computer Specs
Member with 4 posts.

14-Mar-2012, 05:03 AM #6
The retailer. I'm gonna call them next week.
Meanwhile, I'm running smoothly on 8GB ram and the laptop is just fine. Really need to figure out some settings in nVIDIA Control Panel cause I have some issues with running 'HD' video. There is a bit of a flickering on top of the screen when playing videos on youtube, like the image breaks right there. It's not very annoying especially because I'm used to it from my old laptop (nVIDIA 8600m GT), but i just thought that a 2GB video card will play videos properly.
Computer Specs

14-Mar-2012, 07:20 AM #7
Does Asus have newer drivers for the Optimus setup?

But is this Flash video or Bluray or some other type of content? If Flash, install the latest version of Flash. If its through a media player, install a different media.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
asus n53sn, gt 540m, nvidia, optimus, ram 1333

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!