Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Mac External Microphone

(!)

Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
28-Mar-2012, 08:14 AM #1
Question Mac External Microphone
Hi there!

I know nothing about sound and mic stuff. I'm learning as I go, so forgive me if all of this is obvious.

I wanted to buy a cheap lavalier microphone for some video recording I need to do. I need it to plug into a source other than my camera, so I assumed my computer (Macbook Pro Early 2008) would be the best choice. I ordered the Trantec LP2 because it was cheap and had a mini-jack that I assumed would plug straight into my computer and work. It does not.

So, having done a little research, I'm guessing that my mic has no pre-amp (or whatever the technical term is) and needs to be powered externally. To solve this, I purchased a very cheap USB bus-powered external sound card, which I assumed would be enough to power the mic. Apparently not.

Can anybody just quickly tell me what I can plug my microphone in to to make it work? I saw an iMic suggested, but I don't want to spend 20 on something I'm not sure will work. It doesn't need to even be a computer add-on...I can use an external audio capturing device (like a dictophone?) if need be, but the only requisit is that I don't want to spend 's. I don't particuarly need high-end stuff, I just need something cheap that will read the mic I've already bought.

Or, on the flip side, if anyone knows of any similarly priced mics that would do a better job than my LP2 without addition equipment needed, feel free to suggest them to me, as I'm thinking of just cutting my losses and selling this on ebay.

Thanks for your help. Here are some links for the devices I mentioned:

Trantec LP2

External Soundcard

iMic
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
audio, mac, mic, microphone, sound

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!