Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

New ASUS not booting

(!)

Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
29-Mar-2012, 02:27 PM #1
New ASUS not booting
Hi

I have a 1 month old ASUS laptop (U46S) running windows 7 pro. It was working like a dream until a couple of days ago when I started up to be greeted with the "asustek easy flash utility" which told me all about what bios version I have. There was a progress bar which said "erasing" which worried me slightly. When it reached 100% another progress bar appeared saying "programming". When it reached 100% the system shut down. When I press the power button it will not even reach the BIOS stage now. I have already tried removing the battery and holding down the power button for a while before restarting. This worked once and then a few days later the whole thing happened again. This time nothing seems to be working with regards to fixing the issue. I really don't want to have to send it back to Asus since I bought it in the UK but I live in Italy. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. I took a video of the whole thing the 2nd time it happened in case it helps,

Cheers
Computer Specs
Moderator with 43,619 posts.

Experience: Advanced
29-Mar-2012, 04:56 PM #2
You need to contact Asus for warranty service, you have a BIOS flash that went bad, they'll either walk you through a solution or request the laptop be sent in for repair or replacement.
Computer Specs
Member with 210 posts.

29-Mar-2012, 05:04 PM #3
You should be able to find the bios utility on their website, i believe it will make a usb tool to boot from on the laptop and update/replace the bios which might fix this issue.

If not, you may need to send it back, because I cant think of anything else to do.
Computer Specs
Member with 3,355 posts.

29-Mar-2012, 05:20 PM #4
Why on God's green earth would you flash a one month old laptop that was, in your words:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarok1981 View Post
...working like a dream...
Computer Specs
Member with 210 posts.

29-Mar-2012, 05:26 PM #5
I don't think he was trying to flash it, but things happen. It may have been a fluke, or something he accidentally hit in the bios. But there is the chance it is broken somehow.
Member with 2 posts.

30-Mar-2012, 12:05 AM #6
Thanks for the replies. I've contacted Asus to see what solutions they offer. Prunejuice, there is no way I was wanting to flash the BIOS of a brand new laptop. This flash utility started of its own accord. I didn't press a single key on startup. Very weird. I'll have a browse through the Asus website and see if I can get a utility on USB to help out.
Computer Specs
Member with 4,430 posts.

Experience: Advanced
30-Mar-2012, 09:53 PM #7
The Usb utility would be used to flash the Bios, I don't think you should try that yet. I would wait to see what Asus recommend.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
asus, bios, post

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!