Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Reinstalled Vista, PC booting w/Err2Err3 No OS Found

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 6 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
01-Apr-2012, 11:33 AM #1
Reinstalled Vista, PC booting w/Err2Err3 No OS Found
Greetings:

I'm new here & hoping that someone else might have/know a solution for me.

I have an HP dv9500 notebook that I'm selling to in order to upgrade to another. Prior to yesterday it was functioning fine, but b/c I'm selling it I decided to reformat the PC to "new" & I used the HP Recovery CD which was apparently a very bad idea.

The CD formatted the drive ok then a utility or subprogram called "FBI Gui" started installing additional software & drives which seemed to take forever. Finally when the desktop reappeared the FBI program seemed to hang & I noticed that my HD drive partition that it installed in was set to under 20 GB so I read that I should "extend" the drive by clicking on manage storage.

Net out is that afterward my PC rebooted on it's own & now only displays the message, "Err2Err3 No Operating System Found" although I know that the system had installed to nearly the original state.

Can someone please tell me how to sort this out? I am thinking that either the partitions are wrong or something is not being recognized when it begins the boot process. Reading on HP forums I did find others that had similar issues, but then tried terminating the "FBI GUI" process early, but not sure I know what to do when this occurs.

Thanks for your help.

Michael
Computer Specs
Moderator with 31,332 posts.

01-Apr-2012, 12:22 PM #2
Have you tried booting from the recovery partition rather than a recovery disk? I think it is the F11 key during pw ON.
Computer Specs
Member with 6 posts.

01-Apr-2012, 12:41 PM #3
Yes, I have tried rebooting and pressing F11 and it displays the Err2Err3 message. If I place the Recovery CD in then I will have to start all over reformatting & installing. Issue with that is that HP Forums report that the original (mine) Recovery CD & Partition were faulty and partitioned C Drive to only be 20 GB, instead of the actual partition. That is why I had tried to extend it. Think it's that FBI GUI software doing that!
Computer Specs

01-Apr-2012, 12:56 PM #4
Other than a clean install with a real MS install disk [not a recovery disk] the only other thing I can think of is to contact hp and get the correct recovery disk. You can usually purchase these for a nominal charge.
Computer Specs
Member with 6 posts.

01-Apr-2012, 01:03 PM #5
Thank you for your reply crjdriver. Do you know if I can just use a Vista 32 download from the internet (http://systemdiscs.com/) or should I buy the discs from HP direct?
Computer Specs

01-Apr-2012, 01:20 PM #6
That is not what you want. Those are windows repair disks that will do either an auto repair OR you can access a cmd prompt for things like chkdsk, diskpart, etc. This is not going to install the os, drivers, and any apps that your system came with pre-installed.
Computer Specs
Member with 6 posts.

01-Apr-2012, 01:39 PM #7
Thank you, sounds like I'm going to be ordering some CD's from HP then. I appreciate your help, hopefully getting new CD's will get this resolved.
Account Disabled with 36 posts.

01-Apr-2012, 03:08 PM #8
It sounds like the computer has a bad hard drive.

Boot into the BIOS by pressing F10 when you see the HP logo, then go to the Diagnostics section and run the Primary Hard Disk Test.

If it doesn't fail, I would recommend just going ahead and attempting to run the system recovery again.
Computer Specs
Member with 6 posts.

01-Apr-2012, 03:49 PM #9
jandtech, no the hard drive is fine except that HP's original (and faulty) Vista Recovery CD partitions the Hard Drive to be only 32GB.

Here is my repost:

Ok, I'm now in the process of resinstaling the original (faulty) Vista Recovery CD & so far it has formatted the drive once again & now the "FBI GUI Manager" is installing all the other applications/drivers that were originally supplied.

Desktop is back I can see everything I know the Hard Drive is not an issue, however it has the Hard Drive partitioned at 32 GB and the remaining 119 GB is not allocated which is the same issue as yesterday.

I was directed by other's here to do the following:
>Right Click on Computer
>Select Manage
>Click Disk 0 (Drive mapped to C) and choose, "Extend Volume"
>Provide amount of disk space wanting to add (or use entire drive)
>Proceed to complete the Extend Wizard

Supposedly, when finished you can once again use the entire hard drive space.

I did this yesterday however and then the PC rebooted & then produced the error message, "Err2Err3"

Did I not do this in the right sequence or was it because FBI GUI Manager was still running?

I am baffled as to why the Recovery Disk is only partitioning Drive C to 32 GB & how I can get around this.

Thanks again!
Computer Specs
Member with 6 posts.

01-Apr-2012, 05:08 PM #10
Since my reply to jandtech, I've read that many have used GParted Live CD to try to overcome the 32 GB (small partition) after a Vista Reinstall.

I did download this and also something called, "SetImgBurn" 2.5.7.0

I'm a little hesitant to use these, but does anyone know if they work & are safe?

I am assuming I utilize the ImgBurn to write the GParted to a "Live CD" and then boot off this. IF anyone on this forum has experience with this please let me know.

Thank you all again.
Computer Specs

01-Apr-2012, 08:14 PM #11
I use imgburn all the time; it is fine. I have not used gparted; I use parted magic [linux] for all types of tasks.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
system re-install, vista 32

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!