Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

replacement motherboard/processor - Computer not turning on

(!)

Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Beginner
03-Apr-2012, 07:29 AM #1
replacement motherboard/processor - Computer not turning on
Hi, I'll try to be as specific as possible.

I recently bought a new motherboard and processor as an upgrade to what I previously had. everything was working no problem beforehand, and I went through all the usual precautions when installing each part, anti static wristband, etc etc etc.

I put it all together, applied my Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound to my processor exactly as it said to do on their website, secured everything in place with screws, plugged in the "POWER SW", "H.D.D LED", "RESET SW" and "POWER LED + and -" parts exactly where it said to plug them in on the motherboard, double checked everything to make sure it was in the right places, and they were. I plugged the power cable into the power supply, made sure it was switched on, and pressed the power button on the front of the case, but nothing. there's no interior LED on the motherboard to inform me of an error, there's no activity whatsoever.
I checked everything again to make sure it was all in the right place, and it was. took everything out, and re-plugged everything in, but the same issue occured.

Is there any way to find out what could be causing this issue, or to resolve it?

Computer Spec:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H61MA-D2V
CPU: Intel i5 2380p
Video: NVidia GeForce GTS 250
Hard Drives: 1x Seagate Baracuda ES.2 750GB, 1x WD Caviar Green 500GB
PSU: G7 Power Extreme 780W
RAM: 2x 2GB sticks
Tower: Jet Turbine ATX Case

I hope that I have given enough information, but if there is anything else you would like me to provide, I will ASAP.

Thanks for any help in advance.

--

liamsmith1990
Computer Specs
Moderator with 30,670 posts.

03-Apr-2012, 07:57 AM #2
First of all, have you read the guide at the top of the forum for problem builds? If you follow ALL steps of the guide, you will find the cause of your problem.

Next I assume you did not just install the mb without checking that each standoff was in the correct position. One incorrect standoff and the board will short when you press the pw ON button.

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!