Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: PC loses power when graphics card is connected

(!)

Member with 6 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
13-Apr-2012, 06:34 AM #1
Question Solved: PC loses power when graphics card is connected
I bought a GeForce GTS 450 card 7 months ago. My pc did not have enough 4 pin female molex connector so I wasn't able to try the card. I then bought a splitter to solve the problem, it looked something like this

The pc and the card ran fine and I was able to use it until yesterday. While my brother was using the pc, the power went off. Turning the power on causes the power light to flash and turn off. I opened the case to see what might have caused it and I saw that two cables connecting to a pin in the male end of the splitter burnt and got cut off. Here's a picture for reference .
The male end was connected to the PSU and the female ends were connected to the fan and the graphics card.

The system unit was hotter than usual so I thought that the PSU encountered some overheating. I tried the paperclip test to make sure the PSU was working, it was still working so I tried breadboarding my system. The system would boot and act like normal if the graphics card was not connected.

I swapped my fan (with only male connector) to an older one that I had (has both female and male end) so that I could test with the graphics card plugged. The power light would again flicker once and the pc loses its power.

I also tried using a different PSU, I ended up with the same results

What could be the problem? The 6 Pin PCI Express Power Connector looks fine in appearance although I don't have any idea how to check if it was damaged. I haven't tried using another splitter because I can't find any near me and I have a feeling that it might get burned again. I wanted to make sure that the graphics card is not busted but I don't have any other system to try it on. Any ideas, suggestions or solutions are greatly appreciated.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 9,126 posts.

13-Apr-2012, 07:13 AM #2
I see a couple of problems. The GTS 450 card uses about 120 watts on the 12 volt rail, or about 10 amps. That is more than one connector pin is designed to handle, so it is the reason the pin with the yellow wire burned. The flickering power light and PC losing power, and hot power supply indicates the output rating isn't sufficient to power the card in addition to the other hardware in the PC.

The solution would be to get a good quality, higher wattage power supply, ensuring that it has 6 pin PCIE connectors.
Member with 6 posts.

14-Apr-2012, 04:05 AM #3
Thank you for the reply. The PSU was 600W and the brand is Electron. I'll be replacing the PSU since it looked like a cheap knockoff (it didn't even had a manual). Does this mean that the graphics card is still good and I just need to replace my PSU or the card is already dead and needs to be replaced too?
Computer Specs

14-Apr-2012, 10:20 AM #4
The graphics card is probably OK, you just need a better power supply to power it, and without the use of connector adapters. Here is a link to some recommended power supplies with different wattage ratings, with reviews: http://www.overclock.net/t/183810/fa...power-supplies
Member with 6 posts.

15-Apr-2012, 04:52 AM #5
Thanks, I'll just get a new PSU, maybe this one . It has 550W and has the required connectors.
Computer Specs

15-Apr-2012, 06:51 AM #6
I have never heard of Huntkey before until now. The model you are considering has a good review here:
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...y-Review/989/1

The review also mentions though, that other models from the same manufacturer are not so good.
Member with 6 posts.

15-Apr-2012, 11:25 AM #7
Thanks, I was thinking twice of buying this. The review helped a lot.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
graphics card, power supply

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!