Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

HP Laptop Power Issues

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
14-Apr-2012, 09:05 PM #1
HP Laptop Power Issues
Hello and good evening,
I'm trying to help my sister out with her HP Pavilion dv4-2153cl laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.

I'll try to provide as much information about the problem as possible and any help/guidance is MUCH appreciated.

The laptop will only run from battery power, even when the AC adapter is plugged in. When the laptop is OFF, the battery will charge as normal and as long as the battery has enough power, the laptop *will* turn on and run until the battery power is drained.

Basically, once the computer turns on it switches from AC adapter power to battery power regardless of whether the AC adapter is plugged in or not. (I can tell because the indicator light next to where the AC adapter plugs into the laptop directly will remain lit as long as the computer is off, but immediately turns off when the computer turns on.)

After I figured this out, I allowed the battery to charge and booted the computer. When it came time for Windows to load, the error screen would pop up asking whether to run the startup repair (recommended) or start Windows normally. However, the keyboard doesn't work and I'm unable to make the selection. When the countdown finishes, it automatically brings me to the startup repair option and the keyboard will be working again and it will run the repair...until the battery runs out and the laptop will just shut itself off.

If anyone knows what may be causing this or has any ideas on what I should try next, I'd very much appreciate it (as would my sister who is near insanity at this point).

And if you need any additional info from me, please let me know.

Thanks,
J.D.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
hp pavilion, windows 7, windows 7 64 bit

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!