Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Computer suddenly stopped working- motherboard LEDs and fans on, no startup

(!)

Member with 7 posts.

Experience: Beginner
21-Apr-2012, 01:15 PM #1
Computer suddenly stopped working- motherboard LEDs and fans on, no startup
So, to give some background, this is my first build, and it has been assembled and working for 4 months now with no problems. I was able to identify the original motherboard as defective the first time I was building it, and the new one has never given me any problems.

My parts are an i5 2500k, a Gigabyte 768 mobo, a Seasonic 750x PSU, a Gigabyte 6850, and 8GB of GSKILL RAM. And I have an aftermarket heatsink as well. CPU is not overclocked.

Essentially, I was running it overnight to patch a game, and this morning when I came to wake it up the monitor wasn't showing anything. Turned it on and off again, "no signal", etc. I tried turning on my sound and restarting the computer, and I didn't get the bootup sound, so I'm guessing my CPU is not booting at all.

I have run it overnight before with no problems, and as stated, I have an aftermarket heatsink and it's not overclocked. I would be very surprised if it overheated.

Also, normally when I boot up, the motherboard LEDs start up for a second and then turn off. Now they're just staying on- not blinking, just staying on. I don't think it's the PSU either, as it has more than enough wattage, but a failure is always possible I suppose.

I have not taken it apart yet- I'd like to avoid that if possible- but if you have any advice I'm willing to take it. Hopefully, if I can't resolve it, I can at least find out which part is the issue.

Thank you very much for your help!
Computer Specs
Moderator with 52,677 posts.

21-Apr-2012, 02:14 PM #2
Quote:
and I didn't get the bootup sound, so I'm guessing my CPU is not booting at all.
No beeps at all

I would check every thing is seated correctly
and
then reduce to minimum configuration - Motherboard , PSU, Memory , Graphics and harddrive
Member with 7 posts.

Experience: Beginner
21-Apr-2012, 02:38 PM #3
No beeps at all.

I've gone through, and everything seems to be fine- also, seeing home it was just running last night, I don't see how anything could have been unseated. But yeah, everything is where it's supposed to be.

I've unplugged everything except what you said- still in the same situation. Seeing as this just failed in the middle of normal use, and wasn't defective from the start- is this a common thing to happen? Is it any more common for one part than the other?

Notably, with my original defective motherboard, the PSU would turn on, run for a bit, then turn off, and repeat this loop forever. So maybe it isn't the same thing. Of course, maybe there are just multiple ways for a motherboard to fail.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 52,677 posts.

22-Apr-2012, 05:18 PM #4
Quote:
is this a common thing to happen? Is it any more common for one part than the other?
yes its common for parts to just fail

not sure which part would be more common - PSU, motherboard

no beeps at all - did it beep once when it was working in the past
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
boot, failure, fans, led, startup

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!