Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Asrock Z68 Fatality Gen 3

(!)

Member with 41 posts.

27-Apr-2012, 07:23 PM #1
Solved: Asrock Z68 Fatality Gen 3
I recently ordered a new motherboard, as my Asus one died on me. All my components were in working condition, however the Asus board stopped giving a video signal (via onboard 'i7 2600k' or via video card 'AMD 7970'). Anyhow, I received my new board and hooked everything up properly. I powered my PC on and had no signal. I then plugged my monitor in to the motherboard instead of the video card, and did receive signal. So of course I went into the bios, and did what I could to try to force the PCI-e card. The priority was already set to PCI-e, so I disabled some other features in regards to the onboard video, mostly pertaining to multi monitor setups. Anyway, still I do not receive video. I then updated the BIOS, and still nothing. Eventually I called asrock and went through a bunch of troubleshooting, and they determined the PCI-e slots to be defective. I RMA'd the motherboard, and got my new one today. I again plugged everything up, an double checked EVERYTHING. And again, no signal. I then repeated all the steps above, and still nothing. At this point I am pretty irritated, as I would simply like to play a damn game! I'm unsure of where to go from here, but I've determined it cannot be the motherboard, and the RAM memtest'd. The CPU clearly works or I wold not be typing to you. The PSU is 1000w and is not the culprit. So basically I'm down to, somehow the GPU died, most likely only because God hates me, as the GPU has been handled with extreme care, or there is some setting I'm missing/a compatibility issue with my board and GPU. Finally I just wanted to make clear, I see NO video, not even in post, or bios with my card, this is not only with windows.

Specs:
i7-2600k
Asrock Z68 Professional Gen3
Gskill ripjaw 1600mhz 2gb x4
AMD 7970 w/ accellero xtreme plus
1000w rosewill PSU
Windows 7 x64 (pretty sure that's irrelevant).

ANY input is very much appreciated, and thank you in advance for your effort.
ekim68   (Mike) ekim68 is offline   ekim68 has a birthday soon!
Member with 45,148 posts.

27-Apr-2012, 10:25 PM #2
It's a possibility the card is bad, have you tried a different one?
Member with 41 posts.

27-Apr-2012, 10:29 PM #3
unfortunately I don't have another card at the moment.. I'm praying it's not, I don't know how it could be honestly, plus I have heat sinks thermal glued to the memory Like I said, it's a $500 card, I have been very careful with it.

27-Apr-2012, 10:37 PM #4
Well for now it looks like your gaming ability is limited, but you still have the one on the Motherboard, eh? How much memory does it hold?
Member with 41 posts.

27-Apr-2012, 11:18 PM #5
The board? It can hold up to 32gb, however that is way more than needed. 8gb is more than I use as it is as well. 4gb was ok except on 1 game. And yes my ability is severely hindered, the intel chip is nice, for an onboard, it certainly doesn't replace a 7970. Soon I'll have two motherboards (Asus RMA) and I'll test the card in the Asus board again. Though that could be another week or more.

27-Apr-2012, 11:49 PM #6
Let us know how it turns out..
Member with 41 posts.

30-Apr-2012, 10:48 AM #7
I still haven't gotten my ASUS board back yet (maybe another week), but I was thinking, if the graphics card did happen to be bad, would my motherboard still output through the onboard with the card in? I would think it would try to use the card instead, even though it's broken. With my card in, I still get display through my processor. And, the card does not show up in the device manager. Basically it's as though putting my card in has NO effect, the computer seems to just output through the processor as though nothing has changed.
Member with 41 posts.

11-May-2012, 07:43 PM #8
ok turns out it was my graphics card That makes me very sad. Good news is, I was able to get most of the glued on heat sinks off without any issue, however some of them left behind a bit of thermal glue still on the components. I'm hoping this does not mean they will not replace it for me, as I don't want to try and remove it, I don't want to damage it. Any thoughts on if they will take it or not? Asus 7970
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
asrock, graphics, motherboard, pci, video

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!