Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

CD/DVD error (Please insert CD)

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
03-May-2012, 06:42 PM #1
CD/DVD error (Please insert CD)
Hello guys.

(Quick recap of the month)
Basically every few months I format my PC and reinstall windows to keep it fresh. The last time i done this, about a month ago, when all was said and done i pretty much immediately noticed that my browser would go really slow or lock up when using streaming sites like justin/twitch.tv, and, not long after i noticed that my DVD's for games, films etc wouldn't autoplay or start at all right away and i would instead need to eject and insert said DVD a few times to get it going.

Anyway, today I have a day off so I thought I could back up my stuff and Reinstall windows7, not only to clean my PC up but also i thought it may get rid of these minor problems. Now however, no DVD's whatsoever are gettin read at all, i just get the pop up (please insert a disk into drive D) and then the drive pops open. I've tried uninstalling via the device manager and then reinstalling but nothing. A friend also guided me to deleting a file in the registry called CustomPoint2 ? or something of the sort, which changed my error from 'D:/ Application not found' to what it is now. Do i need a new DVD drive? format my pc? Any of your time and help would be greatly appreciated.
Member with 3,873 posts.

Experience: Advanced
03-May-2012, 07:55 PM #2
Try booting from a bootable CD or DVD and see if it works. That will determine if you have a drive or OS issue.
Computer Specs
Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
03-May-2012, 08:04 PM #3
I assume my Windows7 DVD counts as a bootable DVD? If so I've tried that soo many times and chose to boot from CD/DVD but it still just goes straight to the login screen

EDIT: Just to clarify, normally when i boot from this DVD, it goes to the Windows7 installation menu, where i can format, partition etc,

Last edited by KingKupo; 03-May-2012 at 08:12 PM..
Member with 3,873 posts.

Experience: Advanced
04-May-2012, 08:48 PM #4
Verify the boot order in the BIOS.

Is it even pausing and trying to read the disc? If not, and the boot order is CD first, then I'd suspect the drive is faulty.

You could test the drive in another PC to verify.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
cd drive, dvd, error, please insert cd

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!