Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Acer laptop screen brightness problem

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
04-May-2012, 08:59 PM #1
Acer laptop screen brightness problem
I have had my acer for probably about a year and half or so. I have been having a problem with the screen/brightness for awhile now. Before, whenever I adjusted the screen, the brightness just cut out. I could just barely see what was happening. I fixed this by just closing the laptop and putting it to sleep, then opening the laptop and turning it back on. The brightness returned to normal. If i adjusted the screen again though, it would cut out. I assumed it was some connection problem with the screen. Now my screen won't light up at all. There is no brightness, and the display is very faint. Does anyone have any solutions in which I could fix this problem at home instead of having to pay money?

My computer is an Acer aspire 5740/5340 series
Computer Specs
Member with 4,150 posts.

Experience: Advanced
04-May-2012, 10:09 PM #2
When you say it cut out when you adjusted the screen do you mean when you physically moved the screen ?

Could be the Inverter, the cable connecting the display to the motherboard, or the backlight.

I would try fitting a new Inverter first, they are quite cheap and it's an easy job compared to fitting a new cable or backlight.

You need the exact same one that's in it now, I would try Ebay to start with. Where do you live ?

EDIT : Need to know the exact model laptop to see if the screen is an Led type as these don't have Inverters. It will be written on it somewhere, probably on the bottom.

Last edited by managed; 04-May-2012 at 10:20 PM..
Computer Specs
Member with 3 posts.

04-May-2012, 11:11 PM #3
Yeah when I physically moved the screen (either up or down) the display would just cut out.
I believe the exact model is Acer aspire 5740/5340 series, model no: MS2286.
I currently live in Canada. I could try to find a new inverter, I just don't know what type of inverter is in my current laptop, nor do i know how to find it.

Thanks for the help
Computer Specs
Member with 4,150 posts.

05-May-2012, 05:33 PM #4
From looking online your laptop doesn't have an inverter, sorry I mislead you about that.
It uses LEDs for the backlighting which is the more modern way to do it.
(Inverters supply a high voltage to power a small fluorescent tube).

I don't have experience with LED backlighting, in theory it should be more reliable than the inverter/tube method.

I would suspect a problem with the screen cabling as it changes when you move it.

I found this dismantling guide :- http://www.insidemylaptop.com/disass...e-5340-laptop/

You could check if the screen cable looks ok at the motherboard end using that guide but it doesn't cover dismantling the screen itself.
Usually the screen is dismantled like steps 20 to 25 here :- http://www.insidemylaptop.com/take-a...ce-lcd-screen/
Then you could check the cable at the screen end.
Also look for any damage where the cable bends when you move the lid.
You may be able to buy a replacement cable, Ebay is a good placed to look.

Do you want to try this ?
Computer Specs
Member with 3 posts.

05-May-2012, 08:22 PM #5
I guess I could give it a try. I am not the most advanced with computer's, so my only worry is that i wont be able to put it back together. The guide does look very helpful however. Thank you for putting so much time into this though! If i can't find a problem with the cable, then I will probably just take it in to get fixed.
Computer Specs
Member with 4,150 posts.

05-May-2012, 09:31 PM #6
If you're not comfortable then don't attempt it. The last thing I want to do is talk you into doing something you're not sure about. I would rather you didn't try it if that's the case.

If you do decide to try it though, With the Acer guide you can do step 1 then do step 6 to step 11 to expose the screen cable at the motherboard end. Then using the other guide dismantle the screen itself, you should be able to do it without taking the whole screen section off the base.

But like I said only try it if you really want to.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
acer, aspire, brightness, laptop, screen

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!