Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: I think I killed my PC, any help?

(!)

Member with 26 posts.

Experience: ICT Media Computer Hero
05-May-2012, 04:28 AM #1
Solved: I think I killed my PC, any help?
I recently crossfired 2 radeon 6950 cards on a Crosshair IV formula motherboard and it knocked off the overclock of my cpu from 3.7GHz back to the factory setting 3.2GHz and wouldn't let me overclock again in AMD overdrive so I did it in BIOS. Then last night mid-game the pc died (powered off without warning) I'm guessing overheating but it will not reboot after cooling.

I stripped the system back to the motherboard and PSU and the same problem remains... that is the fans begin to spin but then the power cuts out before the boot sequence can kick in. Can anyone tell me if I've burnt out the motherboard or the PSU? Or if I've damaged the system in some other way?

Mobo: Crosshair IV formula
CPU: Phenom II 3.2GHz 6core (black edition) O/C to 3.7GHz
RAM: corsair vengence 16GB
Graphics: 2x Radeon 6950 2GB GDDR5 crossfire (both GPUs O/C from 800MHz to 840MHz)
PSU: Cit 750W 12V
HDD: 2x WD 1TB (no RAID)
Optical drive:2x

If you think you can help but need more info please say so. I'd really like to get this system back up and running. Thanks for reading.

Last edited by Loadertron; 05-May-2012 at 08:53 AM..
Computer Specs
Member with 2,820 posts.

Experience: Advanced
05-May-2012, 08:56 AM #2
Without some parts to test with it's going to be hard to tell. That is a poor quality PSU it probably was only 70% (525w) at best when it was new and they degrade with age. If you can get another PSU to try that would be the first thing. If the PSU failed it could have ruined your mobo and/or other parts.
Member with 26 posts.

05-May-2012, 09:37 AM #3
Hi Black-wolf thanks for your reply I have just tried the PSU with another computer and have seen duplicate results so I'm certain you're right, I can only hope now that it hasn't caused further damage.

I guess this is a lesson to anyone building a gaming rig... Don't scrimp on the PSU!
Computer Specs
Member with 13,932 posts.

05-May-2012, 09:40 AM #4
The PSU is the most important part of the system. You can have the best of everything else but if the PSU won't run it...
Computer Specs
Member with 2,820 posts.

05-May-2012, 09:51 AM #5
Corsair and Seasonic make some excellent PSU's. Post what you are planning to buy for us to look at.
Member with 26 posts.

05-May-2012, 09:53 AM #6
Sure I'll let you know my plans and if there is still life in the old girl.
Member with 26 posts.

05-May-2012, 10:12 AM #7
Looking on amazon saw this but I'm not sure if the wattage is high enough, should I be aiming for a kilowatt... any thoughts?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CMPS...6224337&sr=1-1
Computer Specs
Moderator with 30,676 posts.

05-May-2012, 11:09 AM #8
That should be fine. Here is the amd page showing that pw supply is certified for dual 6950s.
http://support.amd.com/us/certified/....aspx?item=489

If you intend to overclock, you might want to go a little higher in wattage.
Computer Specs
Member with 2,820 posts.

05-May-2012, 11:11 AM #9
That should be good and it is 80+ certified.
Member with 26 posts.

05-May-2012, 11:31 AM #10
Thanks Crjdriver for the advice and link and Black-wolf for all the advice so far. I think I might back off the overclocking, this pc should be fast enough as it is... I think my enthusiasm had just exceeded my abilities. With the O/C it was benchmarking around 5800-5900 on furmark (about 100fps at 720p and 55fps at 1080p) I'm sure I won't lose much by reverting to factory settings.

I won't mark this as solved just yet until the new PSU appears and hopefully the mobo and other components will come back to life... if not I'll be back asking for more advice.
Member with 26 posts.

10-May-2012, 01:34 PM #11
The previously mentioned PSU will take too long to arrive I have chosen another. I think this one should do the job http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/..._ya_os_product which will turn up tomorrow. I'll update you on the following success/failure as it happens.
Computer Specs

11-May-2012, 08:42 AM #12
Just for future reference, any overclock should be done manually in the bios then checked for stability and temp using prime95 or occt.

Software overclocking or "Automatic" overclocking are worthless IMO.
Member with 26 posts.

11-May-2012, 09:44 AM #13
Noted. Do you happen to know if I can undo the overclock by taking out the CMOS battery?
Computer Specs

11-May-2012, 10:24 AM #14
Yes, or you can simply clear cmos or as asus calls it RTC. You will have to enter the bios and set any custom settings you need ie sata mode, boot order, hd priority, etc.
Member with 26 posts.

11-May-2012, 04:53 PM #15
Well the computer is back in the land of the living. As far as I can tell I have suffered one casuality, I no longer enjoy a triple display set up I seem to be down to two screens. Though the computer detects the monitor it won't display an image, I suppose the obvious solution is to swap the graphics cards over but that means buying an active displayport to DVI converter (on my current primary card it's an active mini displayport to DVI) which is another 20 quid I don't have this month. So that experiment will have to wait. Thanks for all your help, and wish me luck
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
crossfire catalyst amd, fans, motherboard, overclock, psu

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!