Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

friend is about to lose her laptop, needs to back up 50gb of data

(!)

Member with 6 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
07-May-2012, 01:08 AM #1
friend is about to lose her laptop, needs to back up 50gb of data
My friend is about to graduate from college. She has been using her dad's laptop (which he got on a loan from his work) but will have to return it soon after graduation. She has about 50 gb of data, mostly images and some Word documents. I offered to transfer her data onto my 1 tb external hard drive, but she does not know when she will be getting a new laptop and we'll probably be far apart geographically. She does not want to store her data online for privacy reasons.

Basically, it seems like her only options are an external hard drive or a giant (or 2 giant?) USB flash drives. Could anyone recommend a specific model? She does not have a lot of data and won't have a lot of data any time soon, so I am wary of her buying a giant external HDD. But then again, it does seem more cost-effective to just buy a model with larger capacity. I am wondering if buying say two 32 gb USB flash drives would be a better option. Again, it may be a few years until she gets a new laptop and so she just needs something to store her photos and documents. She doesn't really need much more space than 50 gb. What are her best options?

Last edited by enron316; 07-May-2012 at 01:39 AM..
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 5,221 posts.

07-May-2012, 04:46 AM #2
Hi,
I'd go for the large external hard drive option - but I can't advise on USA(?) prices & makes/models. Your friend may well get a laptop/desktop sooner than planned as one's plans can change, so the extra capacity might be needed.
But I suggest you buy 2 so you can make a back-up for your friend and store the back-up away from the first copy.

Hope this help?
Richard
Ent   (Josiah) Ent is offline Ent is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 5,270 posts.

07-May-2012, 09:13 AM #3
I'd advise against using the flash drive option. Those little things have annoying habits like corrupting or getting lost. They're intended for data transfer, not long term storage.
I'd say either an external hard disk or a number of DVDs, nudging toward the hard disk.
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 58,415 posts.

Experience: Advanced
07-May-2012, 11:10 AM #4
I agree. DON'T rely on USB thumb drives. Use an external hard drive or DVD-R's or both.

She's lucky that laptop hasn't crashed or died and that it still has her personal data to retrieve and back up.

----------------------------------------------------------
Ent   (Josiah) Ent is offline Ent is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 5,270 posts.

07-May-2012, 11:37 AM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by flavallee View Post
I agree. DON'T rely on USB thumb drives. Use an external hard drive or DVD-R's or both.
Good Ol' Flavallee; belt, bracers, and a personal anti-gravity field just in case.
Which is by no means saying that I'd disagree. You could put all 50GB on 11 DVDs, or just put the most important 4.7GB on one. That's a much cheaper way to get a backup copy than a second hard disk.
DaveBurnett   (Dave) DaveBurnett is offline DaveBurnett is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. DaveBurnett has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 9,862 posts.

07-May-2012, 02:49 PM #6
I'd go for the two drives as well. Disks are relatively cheap and you only need one caddy to do the transfer.
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 58,415 posts.

07-May-2012, 07:10 PM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by enron316 View Post
She has about 50 gb of data, mostly images and some Word documents.
50 GB of images is a lot of images.

----------------------------------------------------------------
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
backup data, data, external hard drive, storage

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!