Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Compaq Presario C552US NIC issues

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
16-May-2012, 02:36 PM #1
Unhappy Compaq Presario C552US NIC issues
Hey this is my first time posting here; I have pulled my hair out the last two weeks doing research and I can't seem to find any end to this madness.

Anyways, I just installed Windows XP pro on a compaq presario notebook c552us. I was able to get most of the drivers, but then I noticed in the device manager that there was no ethernet nic controller. I tried to download the vista nic drivers off the commpaq website, and it didnt work. I tried to download the drivers directly from the realtek website, still no controller identified. Finally I emailed realtek, and they just sent me a link to their website to download and install the same driver, still no luck.

My first question is has anyone out there seen/heard of this?

Is the hardware in this notebook only compatible with windows vista?

Finally, there is an ACPI systems driver that i cannot get installed for the life of me; could there be some connection to this and the nic?

Thanks!
Member with 2,536 posts.

16-May-2012, 03:50 PM #2
"Is the hardware in this notebook only compatible with windows vista?"

The Presario C552US is compatible with both Windows XP (up to a point) & Windows Vista. Compaq has drivers for both on their US website, but for XP there are only a limited number of drivers compared to the Vista ones (see my last sentence in italics).

With any laptop, only the laptop manufacturer has the correct drivers unless they are built into Windows itself. It's no good getting drivers direct from the NIC manufacturer because Compaq laptops need modified drivers and Realtek don't have those.

The correct driver download page is here: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...t=3370405#N408

The only network-related driver for XP is the HP Wireless Assistant. The only driver they have for the NIC is for Windows Vista, and that definitley won't work on XP.
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 59,411 posts.

Experience: Advanced
16-May-2012, 09:40 PM #3
The Compaq Presario C552US laptop came with Windows Vista Home Basic pre-installed, therefore you should've confirmed that Windows XP drivers are available for all of its devices before you made the downgrade.

What's currently listed in the Network Adapters heading in the Device Manager?

Are there any entries in the Device Manager with a yellow ? next to them?

------------------------------------------------------------
Computer Specs
Member with 3 posts.

16-May-2012, 10:19 PM #4
I will try to get in touch with Compaq... Thanks!
Computer Specs
Member with 3 posts.

16-May-2012, 10:21 PM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by flavallee View Post
The Compaq Presario C552US laptop came with Windows Vista Home Basic pre-installed, therefore you should've confirmed that Windows XP drivers are available for all of its devices before you made the downgrade.

What's currently listed in the Network Adapters heading in the Device Manager?

Are there any entries in the Device Manager with a yellow ? next to them?

------------------------------------------------------------
So under network adapters windows only shows me my wireless lan adapter.

Futhermore, the only unidentified hardware in yellow in the device manager is the ACPI systems controller which I also cannot install.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
compaq presario c500, ethernet controller, realtek, windows xp

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!