Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Dell Inspiron 1545 Black Screen issues....

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Advanced
22-May-2012, 02:55 AM #1
Lightbulb Dell Inspiron 1545 Black Screen issues....
Hi all. Looking for some fresh ideas about my Dell Inspiron 1545.

This is the story so far.

Screen was black, (could dimly make out the background) so fitted new inverter. Still the same.

Tested LCD on another Dell. Worked perfectly.

Fitted new video cable. Still the same.

Worked on external monitor. No problems.

So... after trying all the above I found a reasonably good value replacement motherboard. Bought and fitted.

Now the laptop is working fine, (I am using it now) but... on start up only when I turn it on for the first time in the morning the screen (as it did this morning) flicks off, goes black, and I hear it click, and it goes into hibernation? I can also make out the Dell logo faintly....so I wait, till it is properly hibernated, start up again, and it then works fine. Last night I used the whole evening no problems at all, rebooted, restarted several times, no issue..... Very odd.

I have checked settings in power options, all good.

Anyone got any suggestions?

I have read somewhere that it could be the CCFL backlight bulb, and if it is, I'm going to kick myself after spending all this money on it, but not so sure that is a simple or cheap fix. Still, I have the old motherboard, so.....
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,927 posts.

22-May-2012, 10:56 AM #2
Moved the thread, as it seems more hardware than Windows 7 issue.
Account Closed with 3 posts.

09-Jun-2012, 06:49 AM #3
Hello Ukbuckstop,

My name is Deepa and I work for the Social Media and Community Team at Dell. It appears to be an issue with lcd screen as you have already checked with another Dell and an external monitor where it works fine. I want to know have you changed the heatsink alongwith the motherboard as you mentioned you hear a click sound when it goes black. This might be beacuse of heating issue.

To isolate the issue, you can run a test on lcd :-

>shut down the system and keep the adaptor plugged in.
>press and hold the letter 'D' and in the meanwhile turn on the system and keep holding 'D' till you see colors coming up the screen and changing as well.
>if there are solid colors,screen is fine,but if you cant see the colors properly and the screen is still dim there is an issue with lcd.

You can also try going into the BIOS of the system. As soon as you turn on the laptop,keep hitting F2 key on the top of your keyboard continuously till the time you see a blue screen which has all the system information. If the screen looks dim on this window, it is an issue with lcd.

You can also turn off the sleep mode and hybernate mode by going into power options and then check it for few days if it is working fine.

Please do let me know if any of these help you to isolate the issue.

Thanks
DELL- Deepa R
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
ccfl, dell, inspiron, inverter, motherboard

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!