Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Installed printer driver = BSOD

(!)

Member with 1 posts.

22-May-2012, 01:44 PM #1
Installed printer driver = BSOD
Hey I'm not that tech savvy so bare with me with this one; bit of background info, I'm running Windows 7 and the printer in question was a Canon MP470.

I installed a driver from the official Canon website, for the MP470 on my computer yesterday evening in order to make the scanner that comes as part of the printer work again. After a couple of hours (and the scanner still not working) the system crashed in the middle of browsing the web and I got a blue screen of death. I rebooted the laptop and had a blue screen and could move my mouse but no start button or any desktop icons. I can only assume that this was caused by the installation of the printer driver. I signed in on the Admin account and the desktop appeared.

I used system restore to try and revert back to a time when the laptop was working again and it said that repairs were being made. After rebooting, nothing had changed on my account. I've tried to delete the drivers for the printer, and uninstall the printer but 'printui' doesn't like me and the printer no longer appears on the device manager either. I've not got a back up restore point either so decided to cut my losses and re-install Windows 7 to make it work again. Alas, I get the message 'wdsutil.dll' is missing and that I couldn't run start up.

I'm happy to provide any information you guys need to help me out (I just don't know what it is or how I'd get to it, but I'm not a complete idiot with computers). Any help anyone can offer will be fantastic.
Member with 3,873 posts.

Experience: Advanced
25-May-2012, 09:35 PM #2
Are you booting from the disc or running the disc from within Windows? From what I can see, this only occurs while running Windows.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
bsod, crash, drivers, printer

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!