Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Will a dead CMOS battery slow computer?


(!)

RGJr61's Avatar
RGJr61 RGJr61 is offline
Computer Specs
Member with 18 posts.
THREAD STARTER
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: This lil blue planet I call Ea
Experience: Advanced
22-May-2012, 08:39 PM #1
Question Will a dead CMOS battery slow computer?
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Basic, Service Pack 2, 32 bit
Processor: Genuine Intel(R) CPU T2080 @ 1.73GHz, x86 Family 6 Model 14 Stepping 12
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 1917 Mb
Graphics Card: ATI RADEON XPRESS 200M Series, 4 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 112971 MB, Free - 57687 MB;
Motherboard: TOSHIBA, IAYAA
Antivirus: McAfee Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware, Updated and Enabled

Hi:

My CMOS battery is dead and I've yet to open and replace. I keep the time set correctly manually. Would this cause the computer to operate as if in slow motion?

I've run several CPU speed checks and all report over double the 1.73 GHz, sometimes as high as 2.8 GHz.

Any and all advice or comments will be appreciated.

Thanks, Robert
Elvandil's Avatar
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Vermont
Experience: "Been through the mill."
22-May-2012, 09:07 PM #2
No. It may not be completely beyond the realm of possibility, but it is not likely that any BIOS settings would affect speed noticeably.

Replace the battery.
RGJr61's Avatar
RGJr61 RGJr61 is offline
Computer Specs
Member with 18 posts.
THREAD STARTER
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: This lil blue planet I call Ea
Experience: Advanced
23-May-2012, 04:01 PM #3
Thanks for the reply. I have found instructions for opening the case. So I'm gonna give it a shot.
Snagglegaster's Avatar
Account Disabled with 1,906 posts.
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Experience: Between Vast & Half-Vast
23-May-2012, 07:15 PM #4
I'm assuming you're using instructions from irisvista.com or similar. This sort of stuff isn't hard, but I would suggest you keep all the screws you remove organized, and follow all instructions carefully. Just be especially careful with the ribbon connectors for keyboard, etc., don't break the latches that secure the cables, and you should be OK. Jeweler's screwdrivers and patience should see you through.
RGJr61's Avatar
RGJr61 RGJr61 is offline
Computer Specs
Member with 18 posts.
THREAD STARTER
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: This lil blue planet I call Ea
Experience: Advanced
25-May-2012, 02:52 PM #5
Unhappy My CMOS battery dillema
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snagglegaster View Post
I'm assuming you're using instructions from irisvista.com or similar. This sort of stuff isn't hard, but I would suggest you keep all the screws you remove organized, and follow all instructions carefully. Just be especially careful with the ribbon connectors for keyboard, etc., don't break the latches that secure the cables, and you should be OK. Jeweler's screwdrivers and patience should see you through.
Thanks for writing. Yes, I did find a set of steps w/pics at irisvista. Took it apart yesterday and CMOS is soldered to board. Found battery at Frys, but NOT rechargeable! So I've decided to live w/it till I buy the latest and greatest!

Thanks again for all the feedback.

RG
RGJr61's Avatar
RGJr61 RGJr61 is offline
Computer Specs
Member with 18 posts.
THREAD STARTER
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: This lil blue planet I call Ea
Experience: Advanced
25-May-2012, 02:54 PM #6
Thanks for the comment. See my reply below.

Cheers.
Snagglegaster's Avatar
Account Disabled with 1,906 posts.
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Experience: Between Vast & Half-Vast
25-May-2012, 06:09 PM #7
Congratulations! Most folks lack the nerve to dismember their laptop. Leaving the current battery in place probably won't effect the performance a bit. No CMOS battery is rechargeable; you just have to replace them as they go bad. Most of them will last (or outlast) the life of a computer.
managed's Avatar
managed   (Allan) managed is offline
Computer Specs
Member with 4,226 posts.
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Liverpool, UK
Experience: Advanced
25-May-2012, 07:54 PM #8
Some (older ?) laptops have rechargeable Cmos batteries, I have one that does. (Toshiba Portege M100).
RGJr61's Avatar
RGJr61 RGJr61 is offline
Computer Specs
Member with 18 posts.
THREAD STARTER
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: This lil blue planet I call Ea
Experience: Advanced
26-May-2012, 03:27 PM #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snagglegaster View Post
Congratulations! Most folks lack the nerve to dismember their laptop. Leaving the current battery in place probably won't effect the performance a bit. No CMOS battery is rechargeable; you just have to replace them as they go bad. Most of them will last (or outlast) the life of a computer.
Thanks for the ego stroke. I've been doing electronics (Heath Kits) since I was seven. My dad was in Crypto in the USAF.

Not only did I get it all apart, but also back together (a few leftover screws..LOL) and I'm using it now. As to rechargeable, the Sanyo CR1220 in my 5 yr. old Toshiba Satellite A135 is (was?) rechargeable and unfortunately soldered into place.

The fact that he clock won't keep time even on AC leads me to believe I have MUCH bigger problems, like new computer
type problems.

Thanks for all the feedback. Cheers. Robert
RGJr61's Avatar
RGJr61 RGJr61 is offline
Computer Specs
Member with 18 posts.
THREAD STARTER
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: This lil blue planet I call Ea
Experience: Advanced
26-May-2012, 03:29 PM #10
Thanks for that. Mine has a Sanyo rechargeable.

Cheers,

RG
Snagglegaster's Avatar
Account Disabled with 1,906 posts.
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Experience: Between Vast & Half-Vast
26-May-2012, 06:57 PM #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGJr61 View Post
Thanks for the ego stroke. I've been doing electronics (Heath Kits) since I was seven. My dad was in Crypto in the USAF.

Not only did I get it all apart, but also back together (a few leftover screws..LOL) and I'm using it now. As to rechargeable, the Sanyo CR1220 in my 5 yr. old Toshiba Satellite A135 is (was?) rechargeable and unfortunately soldered into place.

The fact that he clock won't keep time even on AC leads me to believe I have MUCH bigger problems, like new computer
type problems.

Thanks for all the feedback. Cheers. Robert
Issues of rechargeable CMOS batteries aside, you'll find that the clock chip on both laptops and desktops is frequently unreliable, and while it's a PITA, that doesn't mean it's automatically time for a new laptop. It's a pain, but is it worth a new lappie? Your call.
managed's Avatar
managed   (Allan) managed is offline
Computer Specs
Member with 4,226 posts.
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Liverpool, UK
Experience: Advanced
26-May-2012, 07:02 PM #12
Is this the same motherboard :-


That pic is part of this dismantling guide :- http://www.irisvista.com/tech/laptop...ainboard-1.htm

I found 3 sellers on Ebay from the Far East selling the CMOS battery so if you can do the (un-)soldering it could be worth a shot.

(I always seem to have screws left over too )
Snagglegaster's Avatar
Account Disabled with 1,906 posts.
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Experience: Between Vast & Half-Vast
26-May-2012, 07:18 PM #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by managed View Post
Some (older ?) laptops have rechargeable Cmos batteries, I have one that does. (Toshiba Portege M100).
I have certainly been wrong before, but I've never seen a rechargeable CMOS battery, and I've replaced many CMOS batteries in the last 15 years. Show me the documentation for that rechargeable CMOS battery, and I will owe you an AttaBoy!
managed's Avatar
managed   (Allan) managed is offline
Computer Specs
Member with 4,226 posts.
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Liverpool, UK
Experience: Advanced
26-May-2012, 11:57 PM #14
It's no big deal but this link will download a User guide for the M100 :- http://cdgenp01.csd.toshiba.com/cont...g_20040813.pdf

see PP 114-115 where it refers to the rechargeable RTC battery.

(I don't need an 'Attaboy' so save it for someone who does. )
RGJr61's Avatar
RGJr61 RGJr61 is offline
Computer Specs
Member with 18 posts.
THREAD STARTER
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: This lil blue planet I call Ea
Experience: Advanced
28-May-2012, 02:10 PM #15
Cool Rechargeable CMOS battery by Sanyo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snagglegaster View Post
I have certainly been wrong before, but I've never seen a rechargeable CMOS battery, and I've replaced many CMOS batteries in the last 15 years. Show me the documentation for that rechargeable CMOS battery, and I will owe you an AttaBoy!
Documentation, shoot I looked at the battery with my own eyes (under extreme magnification), and it CLEARLY read "Sanyo" "CR1220" and "Rechargeable"!

No atta boys here either. I'll have an "Aww sh*t" any moment and wipe it out anyway....

Robert

PS--> as a matter of interest, right now and for 6 hours yesterday, everything is at normal speed. But later on it sloooowed waaaaay doooooown!!!??? I'm gonna price the board but still want a newer laptop. Thanks again all! RG
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.


Tags
battery, cmos, motherboard, real time

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools


WELCOME
You Are Using: Server ID
Trusted Website Back to the Top ↑