Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: 3010 MHz (x16) CPU running at 802 MHz (x4)

(!)

cwwphotos cwwphotos is offline cwwphotos has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 13 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
25-May-2012, 07:29 AM #1
Solved: 3010 MHz (x16) CPU running at 802 MHz (x4)
Hello all,

So I've attempted to do a thorough search of my problem here and see if it could be answered, but unfortunately I am still unable to solve it.

The Problem: My AMD Phenom II X4 945 Quad-Core, 3MHz, 125W (HDX945FBGIBOX) from Newegg's "AMD Dragon Platform" Bundle is running at ~802.70MHz with a x4.0 multiplier.

My Troubleshooting: I have updated all of my drivers, re-seated all of my plugs and hardware [RAM, GPU, etc.], Set the Windows Power Management to High Performance, disabled Cool 'n Quiet and CE1 Power Management, reset the CMOS, disabled CnQ and CE1 again, run Video Card Stability Test, played Age of Empires III [performed fine, good FPS], played Arma II [performed terribly, very low FPS <10], just attempted to use Prime95 but couldn't really figure out what I was looking at. Ran a Blend Test and it made my first core go to 100% Load while the temperature maxed at 40C. Monitored with Core Temp and CPU-Z and nothing has brought my ~802.70MHz, x4.0 multiplier, and 1.106V up or down. Somethings is keeping it locked there.

I did manage to use ASUS' supplied TurboV overclocking utility [I don't overclock anything myself otherwise] and was able to raise the Core Speed to just over 1000MHz before the PC shut itself down. I promptly uninstalled TurboV but took the fact that the processor sped up to mean that it isn't a CPU problem, but something else holding the CPU down. My Core Temp readings are static between Min. 33C and Max. 34C.

My power supply is rated at 750W, while my new video card [500W] and AMD Phenom II X4 945 [125W] are rated at about 625W, so I'm wondering if my power is too low and keeping things from running optimally. If it isn't that, my BIOS is 3 years old and I'm wondering if it needs to be updated to a certain degree to ensure proper functionality. Using ASUS' Motherboard CPU Support List I found another AMD Phenom II X4 945 125W (HDX945FBK4DGI) on the list, about 60% of the way down it, but not my specific number (HDX945FBGIBOX). Is this simply a case of incompatibility, even though another Phenom II with the same wattage and required BIOS version does work? I've noticed a trend on these forums that usually people with this 800MHz CPU problem have a board that doesn't support it. Though in my case [of course, it's unique ] mine was bundled with the motherboard by Newegg and I would assume it's compatible.

I am ready for any and all suggestions and I've come to the point where I'm about to just buy a 1200W power supply, and consider a new CPU/MB in the coming month. Three calls to ASUS and one call to AMD have garnered no results. I also think I should mention that ever since I bought this bundle[plus two newer video cards and the 750W PSU over the subsequent 3 years] my Windows Experience Index has always left my processor lagging behind the other components. My CPU is rated 3.7 on the Index, but the others are all between 5.9 and 7.9. I've attached 5 files already so here's a link to the latest screenshot of it as well.

Build Specs:
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 945 Quad-Core, 3MHz, 125W
GPU: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7870 2 GB, 256-bit, GDDR5, 500W
GPU Driver: 8.961.0.0 -- April 5, 2012 (AMD Catalyst 12.4)
MB: ASUS M4A78-E (BIOS 0711 -- March 27,2009)
PSU: Rosewill Xtreme RX750-D-B 750W, ATX12V v2.2 & EPS12V v2.91
RAM: 6GB = (2) 2GB DDR2, (2) 1GB DDR2
Benchmarking: CPU-Z, Core Temp
DirectX: DX11
Attached Thumbnails
Solved: 3010 MHz (x16) CPU running at 802 MHz (x4)-core-temp-idle.png   Solved: 3010 MHz (x16) CPU running at 802 MHz (x4)-cpu-z-idle.png   Solved: 3010 MHz (x16) CPU running at 802 MHz (x4)-prime95-blend-test.png  
Attached Files
File Type: txt prime.txt (362 Bytes, 43 views)
File Type: txt results.txt (3.2 KB, 42 views)

Last edited by cwwphotos; 25-May-2012 at 07:39 AM..
Account Disabled with 6,319 posts.

25-May-2012, 11:04 AM #2
It may be that you did run into an incompatability problem.
Although infrequent,newegg has shipped incompatable hardware
in bundles before.
You might check the ASUS website for a bios update and check
the notes on it to see if it covers your processor.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 43,254 posts.

Experience: Advanced
25-May-2012, 12:50 PM #3
BIOS 0711 is pretty old but the first to support that processor, but you probably should update the BIOS to latest version which is 2603. Than maybe use the Clear CMOS jumper to fully clear the CMOS settings and see if the clock speeds increase.

Also the video card by itself would not use 500 watts, that would be the recommended PSU for a full system with that card. 125W is also not the amount of power the CPU uses, its something called TDP which is how much heat needs to be dissipated.
Computer Specs
Member with 13 posts.

25-May-2012, 12:53 PM #4
Thanks leroys1000, I was hoping that wasn't the case, as I'm sure Newegg isn't going to be in the mood to do much for me 3 years after the fact. If only I had caught this sooner (if it was even acting up then, I cannot be sure).

However, using ASUS' Motherboard CPU Support List I had found another, similar AMD Phenom II X4 945 125W (HDX945FBK4DGI) on the list, but it is not exactly the same as my number (HDX945FBGIBOX).

Could this cause incompatibility, even though this other Phenom II X4 945 (with the same wattage and required BIOS version) does work according to the list? I have been unable to find a definitive list of compatible CPUs for this board that does list mine, so I'm not sure if it actually is compatible or not, and have to speculate based on Newegg's reputation--hoping they didn't actually sell me something that had incompatible parts.

EDIT: Woops didn't see your post Triple6, thanks for helping out too.
I've been afraid to update my BIOS after hearing how troublesome it can be, and even being advised against it by ASUS if there isn't a specific need addressed in the BIOS update. At first I thought it would be a good idea, like you, because it is 3 years old. But the last ASUS representative I spoke with said it's not like a driver update that should always be done when it is made available, but instead used on a case-by-case basis. I think with your recommendation, and my original wish to update it, I'm going to go ahead and choose the most up-to-date BIOS and hope for the best--unless you or anyone else would advise against it. Thanks again!

Last edited by cwwphotos; 25-May-2012 at 12:59 PM..
cwwphotos cwwphotos is offline cwwphotos has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 13 posts.

26-May-2012, 01:26 PM #5
Well I suppose this issue is 'solved' in the sense that it is no longer an issue. Called ASUS another three times since my last post, and after ruling out as many other options as possible they suggested I finally update my 3 year old BIOS to the current 2603.

The BIOS update went without a hitch, I got into Windows and even online without a problem. However it didn't solve the Clock Speed issue, and the next time I restarted it I could not longer get it to load all the way back up to Windows. Reset the CMOS and it got to Windows one more time, but since then even clearing the CMOS no longer gets be to restart to Windows. Then I noticed a capacitor on my 3 week old Video Card had turned yellow, and had a pinhole melted into its surface.

I've decided 3 years [and 3 months over the warranty] was long enough for this CPU/MB, so I'm looking to switch to Intel for the first time and hope I get a bit better experience in the long run. Also contemplating an entire refund for the Video card and switching to nVIDIA as well, rather than an even exchange. I don't really have any reason for switching brands, just seems like Intel/nVIDIA are a little more popular and may have better service than what I saw with ASUS and AMD.

Thanks all for the help, just sorry it didn't work out and I am without a PC for the foreseeable future.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
800mhz, amd, asus, bios, cpu

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!