Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Memory Shorting PSU

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 291 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
30-May-2012, 11:07 AM #1
Memory Shorting PSU
Hi, I am having a problem with building a computer for someone.

With everything connected, the computer turns on for a few seconds then turns off (doesn't post).

So, I tried a suggestion from another website, remove everything but the CPU and HSF, you should hear a series of long single beeps, thats what I got.

So, then it said insert one stick of RAM and I should get one long and two or three short beeps, I didn't, it just turned on, no beeps, then turned off after a few seconds like it was doing at the start. It said that the memory could be shorting out the PSU if it doesn't post but it also said that is very rare, so how else could I test it?

Mobo: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showp...odid=MB-364-GI
Memory: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showp...odid=MY-094-KS

Thanks.

Edit: I have just tested the CPU and HSF on its own again and after about 30 seconds of long single beeps, it turns off and then starts again and does the same thing.

Last edited by TechMaster7000; 30-May-2012 at 11:13 AM..
Member with 31 posts.

Experience: Advanced
30-May-2012, 11:28 AM #2
1. Remove the processor and and check the pins. Then install it again and check that it is installed properly in every corner
2. Install processor's heatsink back into its place and double check that it is in the right position and it is tight locked
3. Check that cooling fan of the processor really works
4. Check both stick of RAM one by one so that You boot computer with only one stick of RAM
Computer Specs
Member with 291 posts.

30-May-2012, 11:38 AM #3
Hi, I done them 4 things and it still is not working, it stays on longer when the RAM is not installed before it turns off.

Thanks.
Computer Specs
Member with 2,820 posts.

Experience: Advanced
30-May-2012, 02:53 PM #4
Do you know that the PSU is a known working unit?

Also it would help to post the rest of the system specs.

Are you using onboard graphics or a PCIe GPU?
Computer Specs
Moderator with 31,178 posts.

30-May-2012, 03:41 PM #5
I agree, list your exact system specs. Next the pw ON and then OFF after a few seconds is indicative of an incorrectly installed hsf. Did you pull the mb out of the case when you reseated the cpu?

Have you done an out of case build as shown in the problem build guide?
Computer Specs
Member with 291 posts.

30-May-2012, 04:53 PM #6
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showp...odid=MY-094-KS
Kingston HyperX Genesis Grey 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHZ
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-294-SP
Sapphire HD 7750 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showp...odid=MB-364-GI
Gigabyte Z68AP-D3 Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard REV 1
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showp...odid=CP-406-IN
Intel Core i5-3550 3.30GHz (Ivybridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor

Well, it is new but I tested it with a digital multimeter and it was giving out the correct voltages.

I tried it with and without the graphics card and it was doing the same thing.

No, I left the motherboard in the case when reseating the CPU, and I didn't do an out-of-case build.

I am taking it down to a friend of mine that owns a computer shop tommorow and he will try the build with different CPU and motherboard etc. to elimate the problem hardware.

The HSF is definitely fitted properly, it all clicked in perfectly.

Many thanks.
Computer Specs

30-May-2012, 06:09 PM #7
OK, one thing I see right off; you have selected a cpu that is only supported by a very late bios release. That board needs bios F7 or later to support that cpu. Since that bios was not released until just a few months ago, it is highly doubtful that your board shipped with a bios to support the cpu you have installed.

Next if you pull an intel type hsf, you need to pull the mb out of the case. This is for two reasons;
1 With the board out of the case, you can check the backside of the board to make sure all four push-pins are fully seated/engaged.
2 With the board in the case and supported by only standoffs, you have to push so hard I am always scared of breaking a solder trace or cracking the pcb.

For an experienced builder, doing the hsf in the case is not that big of a deal [I still always pull the board] however for a new or inexperienced builder, it is much better to pull the board out of the case to R&R a hsf.

Last edited by crjdriver; 30-May-2012 at 06:16 PM..
Member with 11,198 posts.

31-May-2012, 07:04 AM #8
what psu is in it

make

model

wattage
Computer Specs
Member with 291 posts.

31-May-2012, 07:45 AM #9
CRJ, is there any way I can find out which BIOS version the board has? Will it say it on the board somewhere?

Okay, I will remember that for next time with the HSF, also, the case doesn't need stand-offs, it has the "bumps" in the case, it is an old case.

http://uk.gigabyte.com/support-downl....aspx?pid=4015 Also, if you look at this, it is the support list for REV 2.0, the one on Overclockers is REV 1.0, so it may be that the BIOS doesn't support the Ivybridge. What do you think?

Dai, sorry, I bought it locally and wrote the specs when I got home so I will find out today what it was, it is 400 watts anyway, I know that.
Member with 11,198 posts.

31-May-2012, 08:43 AM #10
the lowest i use for a pcie system is a 80+ quality 550w psu

a 400w is not going to have enough amp output available on the 12v line for the system

see if you can borrow one to check with and see where you are at then
Computer Specs

31-May-2012, 09:13 AM #11
Gigabyte support may be able to tell you what bios the board currently has if you give them the serial# from the mb box. I know asus support can do this and I assume gigabyte can as well. Note you must get someone who actually has some knowledge when you call. I have had to call asus a few times and 2 out of the 3 times I got someone who was knowledgeable and helpful; the other time.......

I agree 400W is not nearly enough for your parts however if you use the onboard video that is part of the ivy bridge cpu, it might post ok.
Computer Specs

31-May-2012, 09:16 AM #12
One thing to remember when you build a system whether it is intel or amd. Just because a board supports a given socket ie 1155, am3+ or whatever does NOT mean it supports all cpus based on said socket. You must check the cpu support page for the board maker. If it lists the cpu you select and shows support only with the latest bios, do not expect the board to post until you update the bios.
Computer Specs
Member with 291 posts.

31-May-2012, 09:32 AM #13
Dai, okay thanks, but the switching on and off still doesn't make any sense, because it still does that with everything pulled out except for the CPU and HSF. I will try and get a hold of one today.

crj, thanks, I will try that today. Yes, I notice that some people that work in them call centres barely know anything about computers. I tried to explain to one of the ASUS people what my problem was and he didn't seem to have a clue what he was talking about, and that was the tech support line!!! Unbelievable!

Thanks, yes I do check to make sure my CPU is listed on the boards support list. Thanks for the tip.

If the CPU doesn't have the Ivybridge support BIOS, how do you go about updating it then?

Thanks.
Computer Specs

31-May-2012, 09:36 AM #14
Quote:
If the CPU doesn't have the Ivybridge support BIOS, how do you go about updating it then?
You have to have an old socket 1155 cpu sitting around to use for flashing. This is why people who build systems generally have a LOT of spare/test parts sitting around.

Another option is to take it to a shop and have them flash the bios for you. Note just about every shop does bios flashing at YOUR risk; ie if the flash is corrupted, it is YOUR problem not theirs.
Computer Specs
Member with 291 posts.

31-May-2012, 10:27 AM #15
Hi, thanks.

Unfortunately, I am new to the building scene and won't be doing it too often so I don't have many parts lying around (the ones I do are about 10 years old! lol).

Luckily, I get on well with a local computer shop owner so I won't have many problems with that.

Thanks.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!