Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Audio Card being uncooperative

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 27 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
31-May-2012, 08:54 AM #1
Solved: Audio Card being uncooperative
sometimes (becoming increasingly more often) my computer doesnt read my audio card. which is a pain. its a fairly new audio card, less than 6 months old.

also my computer is plugged into a tv via a dvi-hdmi cable, and very occasionally the sound comes through that by pure chance, most often it doesnt though.

These are listed in device manager as Sound Blaster Audigy for the audio card and (im assuming) NVidia HDMI Audio Device for the tv. Ive tried disabling and reenabling both of them with no results. on the occasions when my computer doesnt read the card and claims there's no audio device, and additional "Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus" under "Other Devices" comes up on device manager.

have tried reinstalling the card, updating drivers etc via windows and from the official site for both.

restarting the computer usually makes it work, but as i say, its a pain and a problem i want to fix.

can anyone help me out?

thanks
Computer Specs
Moderator with 31,017 posts.

31-May-2012, 09:26 AM #2
Does the sound work ok when you pull the card and use the onboard sound?

Just a thought however do you have all of the creative software installed? IMO the creative software package is flaky at best; I install just the driver I download from the creative site and NOT all of the other stuff.
Computer Specs
Member with 27 posts.

31-May-2012, 11:06 AM #3
yes sound comes through the telly when i pulled the card out, is a good temporary solution.

yh i installed the "recommended" full monty creative stuff because ive had problems in the past (separate creative sound card) where essentially creative doesnt like windows handling the audio. will uninstall the thing and reinstall only the essential drivers, let you know how it goes.
Computer Specs

31-May-2012, 11:39 AM #4
You might also try a different pci slot or pci-e slot for the card when you reinstall.
Computer Specs
Member with 27 posts.

02-Jun-2012, 07:03 AM #5
turns out i left the install disk elsewhere so having to rely on windows to find the right driver. which works, until i next switch on, when it says the device isnt working and i have to uninstall it and reinstall it to make it work again. either that or it say sthe device is working properly when it blatantly isnt.
Computer Specs

02-Jun-2012, 10:33 PM #6
Why do you need an install disk? Download the driver from the creative site.
Computer Specs
Member with 27 posts.

04-Jun-2012, 01:05 PM #7
thought i couldnt find it, was looking via uk site, found it on the worldwide one, will let you know how it goes.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
audio, card, device, sound

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!