Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Computer keeps restarting at windows screen, before login.

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 73 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
03-Jun-2012, 08:50 AM #1
Solved: Computer keeps restarting at windows screen, before login.
Hey guys,

I've been having a problem that's been driving me crazy. Yesterday, I was playing The Witcher on my computer, and suddenly everything freezes, the screen goes black, and then after a few seconds the motherboard manufacturer logo, Gigabyte, appears like when you turn it on.

I thought I must have missed an auto-update notification, and that it restarted for me, so I sit back and wait, thanking god I'd just saved my progress. When all the preliminary screens and data finished scrolling, and the Windows 7 logo appeared with the whirling color-balls, it suddenly went blank. A beep was heard in my computer, and then the Gigabyte logo appeared again.

It just keeps going through that cycle. Loading everything, almost getting to the log in screen, then shutting off and restarting.

I've replaced my hard drive, since the one I was using was going on 9 years, but that didn't help.

I recently bought a GeForce GTX 670, if that has any relevance to this matter.

I also have a 650 watt GX PSU, 8 GB of RAM, a rocketfish sound card, a wireless internet card, an intel duo core quad processor, two hard drives; a 500 GB (my new one), and a 1 TB drive (1 month old). I have a DVD-RW 8X drive, as well, and a Gigabyte motherboard.

Could it be the motherboard acting up?

I'm going to try and reseat all of my RAM one at a time, see if that helps, and remove the graphics card, see if that helps, too.

I know it's not an HD problem, since there was no change from using the old one to the new.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated

Thanks!

P.S: (On another note, now that new hard drive is acting up. I installed windows on it once, and that worked and it took me to the desktop for first time setup. I thought the whole above problem was fixed. But after trying to restart for an update, it just did the endless cycle of restarts again. Now, when I try installing windows on it again, my new hard drive isn't even recognized as one that's able to have it installed, even after reformatting. It gets the error message "Setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing system partition. See the setup log files for more information.")
DaveBurnett   (Dave) DaveBurnett is online now DaveBurnett is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. DaveBurnett has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 9,431 posts.

Experience: Advanced
03-Jun-2012, 09:27 AM #2
Press F8(repeatedly) immediately after the BIOS finishes it's stuff.
You should get a menu and one of the options is Do not reboot/restart immediately after an error - or words to that effect. Choose this and it will continue until it gets the error and then stop with the error messages on the screen. Make a note of the messages and numbers and report back.

There is an option in windows to change the default so that it does this stop. When you get in look for it and change it.
If you have another PC that does boot into Windows, or a bootable CD with diagnostic tools, you can get at the .dmp dump file that was produced on the previous failures. A tool called BlueScreenView works well in Windows and a PE environment and will work with files from other PCs/disks.
Computer Specs
Member with 73 posts.

03-Jun-2012, 10:28 AM #3
F8 didn't do anything. There IS a list of buttons I can push to do things, though.

Tab to get to post screen, Delete to get to BIOS, F9 is Xpress recovery, F12 is boot menu, and END is QFlash.

And it won't load up at all if I do change that setting since I can't install windows on my HD :/ I keep getting this error message when I try to install Windows:
"Setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing system partition. See the setup log files for more information."
I've formatted a lot already, tried making partitions, etc. But no go ;/
Computer Specs
Member with 73 posts.

03-Jun-2012, 11:03 AM #4
ALRIGHT! Just got windows yo install properly. I'm so proud of myself :P I just removed every other HDD
DaveBurnett   (Dave) DaveBurnett is online now DaveBurnett is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. DaveBurnett has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs

03-Jun-2012, 11:11 AM #5
That F8 is from the BIOS.
The one you want is AFTER THAT just as Windows is starting.
Computer Specs
Member with 73 posts.

03-Jun-2012, 12:22 PM #6
Alright, so I pushed F8 and selected "disable automatic restart on system failure". But, it did the exact same thing, with the singular exception of not going back to the Gigabyte logo. Just black screen after the "Loading windows" logo and animation. There was no error message.
Computer Specs

03-Jun-2012, 12:29 PM #7
Well all good plans do have their weak points....... that is unusual to say the least!
Just as a matter of interest, try the Start in Safe Mode from that menu.
Computer Specs
Member with 73 posts.

03-Jun-2012, 01:29 PM #8
Yes! That worked! Why wouldn't it work in normal mode, though?
Computer Specs

03-Jun-2012, 02:10 PM #9
That is because safe mode does not load all the drivers for disks,graphics etc.
Now all you need to do is find which one is causing it.
In safe mode get it to do a DSKCHK /F
It will complain and says it needs to reboot. Do that, again in safe mode. Also empty all the temporary folders ( Disk Cleanup from disk tools) Then try the real boot again.
Computer Specs
Member with 73 posts.

03-Jun-2012, 03:31 PM #10
Ok, well I've done a disc cleanup. But how do I go about doing a dskchk /F?
Computer Specs

03-Jun-2012, 04:53 PM #11
Start -. search command -> Select Command Prompt which opens up a window. Type CHKDSK :C /F <enter>
It prints a few lines then ask to schedule the check on next restart. Reply "Y" then Type EXIT to close box and restart machine in safe mode.
Computer Specs
Member with 73 posts.

03-Jun-2012, 06:47 PM #12
Alright, I did that. But when I tried to use safe mode, it froze at the screen where it's loading all the files scrolling on screen. I had to start up normally, which worked for the disk check, but then the boot loop happened again :/
Computer Specs

03-Jun-2012, 07:17 PM #13
Let me sleep on it.
Meanwhile try Safe Mode again now it has done the disk check.
If you get in there, go to Start -> Control Panel -> Device Manager and see if there are any yellow Question Marks.
Also you could go Start -> right click COMPUTER -> Properties and look at the Advanced System Settings where you can look at various things including turning off the restart we mentioned earlier and various other settings. Just be careful what you change other than the restart options for now.
Computer Specs
Member with 73 posts.

06-Jun-2012, 09:07 AM #14
My drivers were corrupted. I had to use the device manager to uninstall all of my devices, and reinstall my drivers from their respective sites.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!