Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Buying a High Performance Laptop

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 4 posts.

05-Jun-2012, 02:09 AM #1
Buying a High Performance Laptop
Hi!

I wanna buy a new laptop. The main usage will be:-running Virtual machines, at least two at at time, Programming and testing, and other network related research work. I am all confused and may be somebody can help me out here.
I was thinking of either Dell or Vaio. Dell is offering 3rd gen i7 processor, 3612QM, 8 GB RAM with a nvidia 540 M 2GB video card for 1000$. Sam laptop but with 2nd gen processor i7 (2.40 ghz) is available under XPS series for 1400$. Sony Vaio offers same configuration with Nvidia 640 LE 2 GB card for 1500$. Rest config is okay for me in any of the three systems.

What is this fuzz about the 3rd gen processors?

How can I decide if I need it or not. Also, can anybody tell me why inspiron series has better config than XPS that too under lower price?

Thanks
Computer Specs
Account Closed with 2 posts.

Experience: Advanced
21-Jun-2012, 08:37 PM #2
Hi dashingncool,
This is Shashi from Dell Social Media Professional Team

Dell offers a wide variety of laptop products which are good at supporting 3rd part software’s and virtual machines. And also with Dell products you do get technical support easily over the phone or over forums. You will get a response from a certified technician in case of any doubts. Also there are a wide variety of models available to choose, please refer the link below for going through various models that dell has to offer.
http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/la...=1&sort=-price

A 3rd gen processor has a high processing speed, which means, it executes commands more effectively and quickly as well. Its also very energy efficient & makes use of the available resources effectively. It can switch to turbo boost mode when the workload demands additional performance.
http://www.intel.fr/content/dam/www/...bile-brief.pdf

Hope this information helps. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask me.
Glad to assist you,

Regards,
Shashikanth M S
Social Media and Communities Professional
Computer Specs
Member with 4 posts.

22-Jun-2012, 01:34 PM #3
Hi Shashi,
Thanks for response. As I can see you are from Dell, I am sure u will be able to answer my query. Why are Dell inspirons with better configuration like 3rd gen processors etc are cheaper than XPS with 2nd gen processors and older nvidia cards
Computer Specs
Account Closed with 2 posts.

Experience: Advanced
26-Jun-2012, 08:26 PM #4
Hi dashingncool,
Inspiron computers are for home users and xps systems are for performance based users. Based on price and requirements, these specifications can be altered, but if looked at very closly XPS systems are high end systems made for gamers and the like. Inspiron systems are for home users and beginners & students, kindly visit www.dell.com for more options.
Member with 51 posts.

Experience: Beginner
26-Jun-2012, 08:31 PM #5
If i were you,I'd prefer Del 3rd gen i7 processor which cost $1000.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
3rd generation, dell, laptop, vaio

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!