Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

no sound after reinstall

(!)

Member with 25 posts.

05-Jun-2012, 03:17 AM #1
Smile no sound after reinstall
Using Dell dim. 3000, win xp home, sp2, C-media sound card (which replaces original dell card)

I reinstalled windows and got most of my programs back up and running but the sound is not there and I have tried dozens of "fixes" to no avail. I got all the dell drivers I needed after the reinstall. A long time ago, I replaced the Dell sound card with a C-media card and it has always performed well - UNTIL after the windows reinstall! I have posted many times at Dell forums but can get no useful help there. I removed the Cmedia card from my Dell tower so there is no physical sound card in the cumputer for now. I had hoped to access the internal audio device from the front jack with my headphones but still no sound at all.
Currently, the device manager shows = SoundMax audio = Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39) Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device.
I would greatly appreciate it if anyone can help me out here or offer any leads, etc. to get sound back on my computer.
thank,
jim
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
05-Jun-2012, 04:38 AM #2
Did you also install the Soundmax driver from Dell and the one for your OS? Was it disabled in BIOS when you put in a new one?
Dell-Kris Dell-Kris is offline Dell-Kris has a Profile Picture
Dell Representative with 136 posts.

05-Jun-2012, 06:58 AM #3
Hi jim,
My name is Krishna and I work for the Social Media and Community Team at Dell. Based on your description, the issue is more likely related to the audio drivers. Depending on your system model and operating system, you can download and install the latest audio drivers from www.support.dell.com
Also, Microsoft has created a detailed step-by-step troubleshooter for common audio problems. The troubleshooter detects the version of Windows your computer is running and adapts troubleshooting to match. You can run the troubleshooter from http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...und-in-windows .Hope this helps.

Regards,
Dell-Kris K
Member with 25 posts.

05-Jun-2012, 03:13 PM #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvandil View Post
Did you also install the Soundmax driver from Dell and the one for your OS? Was it disabled in BIOS when you put in a new one?
I did install the SondMax driver (R94481) but since the original Dell sound card is no longer in my computer, the SoundMax driver does nothing and brings up a yellow alert flag in the Device manager so I turned it off in the Integrated audio listing in the Dell Bios (F2 at startup) which eliminated the SoundMax yellow flag in Device manager. The audio driver R94481 does not apply to my C-media sound card which has been in the computer for several years and always worked well - UNTIL I reinstalled windows.
Re the driver for my OS (I assume you mean the replacement C media driver) is on the installation disc for that device and I have intalled and uninstalled it many times but it continues to show a yellow flag in Device manager.
thanks,
Jim

Kris:

re: My name is Krishna and I work for the Social Media and Community Team at Dell. Based on your description, the issue is more likely related to the audio drivers. Depending on your system model and operating system, you can download and install the latest audio drivers from www.support.dell.com

.... Thanks Kris. I have downloaded just about all the drivers I need from Dell including the only audio driver there: R94481 but the Dell audio driver does not help me with my (added) C - media sound card which has it's own drivers in the installation CD.

Also, Microsoft has created a detailed step-by-step troubleshooter for common audio problems. The troubleshooter detects the version of Windows your computer is running and adapts troubleshooting to match. You can run the troubleshooter from http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...und-in-windows .Hope this helps.

... Re: troubleshooters. I have tried them all and none of them can tell me how fix the problem other than uninstall and reinstall (whatever) - which I have done many times!
thanks,]
jim
pratham_verma
Guest with n/a posts.

05-Jun-2012, 04:21 PM #5
Hi,

I would suggest you to use the device manager and uninstall the existing driver first. Once done please restart the system. Then please visit http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/...oductSelection

This will ask you to enter the service tag of your system or you can even use the model number or which system are you using.

Download the latest sound driver that is available, if it doesnt work then visit the website of the manufacturer of the sound card and install the driver from their website.

Thanks,
Pratham
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
audio, dell 3000, sound card

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!