Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

better gaming processor and mobo?

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 29 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
08-Jun-2012, 10:35 AM #1
better gaming processor and mobo?
Hi TSG community!

So i'm looking forward to upgrade my PC which is an HP pavillion small form factor and completely replace the mobo and processor and case and hoping to reuse the power supply (if its sufficient, I think its 500-600w). But before that, I'm gonna share to you guys what I am planning to do.

I have organized my upgrading into steps because I'm still a student and not really earning enough cash, just saving up. My budget for upgrading is only less than $300 (12,400pesos Philippine currency since I am living in the Philippines)

1st step: Computer case, planning to buy a case which are made by either thermaltake, coolmaster, or aerocool.

2nd step: mobo and processor, I want this to be an AMD-ATI build so i've researched a little bit and caught in between the AMD FX4100 and AMD A6-3600 processors. Between these two, which is better for gaming (i'm open to suggestions for other processors)? (FYI, I have a Radeon 4350 1gb video card (which I know is sh*t) but im also planning to upgrade later on. Probably the last step)).

Now the mobo, I'm not really familiar with the terms when I'm looking at the specsheet of mobos and I'm kinda confused on what mobo to buy. But I know that ASUS, MSI and GIGABYTE are very reliable (and some are cheap) mobos. I'm gonna need help in choosing one. My budget for a mobo is probably around $150 (i know its cheap). (other brands im familiar but i do not know if they are good, ASrock, Emaxx and Biostar.)

3rd step: Cooling systems, haven't really done enough research to know what are good cooling systems. i really wish I could afford a liquid cooling system (and a case for it) but i'll stick with the fans and/or heatsinks?

So there are my plans for upgrading my PC. I could really use some suggestions. I know my budget is very little for a upgrading to a gaming PC. I just want to play the new and upcoming games probably on a medium to high setting (since I know my budget is short for ultra setting. LOL.).

So there. Really sorry for the long post. I just want to be specific. Thanks in advance for the suggestions/replies whatsoever. I'm open to anything.

Cheers!
Computer Specs
Moderator with 31,213 posts.

08-Jun-2012, 01:39 PM #2
You are not going to need any extra cooling since a retail cpu comes with a hsf. Both intel and amd coolers do a decent job if you do not overclock the cpu.

I would really not go with a bulldozer core since it has been such a disappointment in terms of performance. Very often bulldozer is outperformed by older amd chips ie T1100 or even a 975/980 cpu.

One thing I do not see is a new copy of windows. You cannot reuse a hp, dell or other big box system version of windows when you swap in a performance mb.

If you want some recommendations, I have used this gigabyte board on two builds and it is flawless. Ran a 965 at 3.9gig with no problems at all.
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/pro...px?pid=3901#ov
This board will support bulldozer as well as am3 type cpus.
Member with 5,855 posts.

Experience: Advanced
08-Jun-2012, 02:36 PM #3
A small form factor HP PC may have a 200w PSU and could be non-standard.

You'd do better to sell what you have to put it towards the replacement. Because other than drives, nothing is re-usable.
Computer Specs
Member with 5,855 posts.

08-Jun-2012, 02:38 PM #4
With your limited budget, you should get an AMD A-Series CPU (about $75~80 USB quad core) with a $75 motherboard. Once you start spending AMD-FX budget money, you should just go intel.
Computer Specs
Member with 29 posts.

08-Jun-2012, 11:55 PM #5
Im not really going for a bulldozer and not gonna do any overclocking. I've looked into the link provided above and I like it. I checked micr center and they didnt have it. They only have this one http://www.gigabyte.com/products/pro...px?pid=4001#ov and this one http://www.gigabyte.com/products/pro...px?pid=3907#ov . i guess im gonna go for the 2nd one. BTW, I could install 64bit OS on these, right? Or it depends on the processor Im going to buy?

Ohhh.. Now I feel dumb. I just found out that the PSU is only 200w. :O you were right. Guess I'll just sell everything that isn't reusable.

I guess I'll go with the A-Series CPU with GIGABYTE'S GA-970A-UD3 motherboard then.

I'll post my build after everything is done.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. It really helped me make up my decision.

Cheers!
Computer Specs
Member with 5,855 posts.

09-Jun-2012, 12:24 AM #6
Good luck! By all means.... and we are here to help.
Computer Specs
Member with 2,820 posts.

09-Jun-2012, 10:05 AM #7
Quote:
I guess I'll go with the A-Series CPU with GIGABYTE'S GA-970A-UD3 motherboard then.
The A-Series CPU requires a socket FM1 motherboard. The GIGABYTE'S GA-970A-UD3 is an AM3+ socket. They won't work together.
Computer Specs
Member with 29 posts.

09-Jun-2012, 12:41 PM #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by black-wolf View Post
The A-Series CPU requires a socket FM1 motherboard. The GIGABYTE'S GA-970A-UD3 is an AM3+ socket. They won't work together.
crap. really? well that sucks. I thought if it supports a higher processor, it could already support the ones below it. I definitely need to do some more studying. Thanks for the heads up man.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 31,213 posts.

09-Jun-2012, 12:54 PM #9
Just because a board supports a given socket does not mean it supports ALL cpus based on that socket. When you do a build you must check the cpu support page for the board you are using. Both gigabyte and asus have a support page that will show what the board supports AND what bios is needed for that support.
Computer Specs
Member with 5,855 posts.

09-Jun-2012, 10:18 PM #10
AMD is in transition from AM3+ to FM1 to FM2 (so FM1 is going away next year). Its not as smooth as the AM1~3.

Reason being FM chips (A-series) have the GPUs (FUSION) built on, which send the video out the connector. While the AM boards have video on the motherboard.
Computer Specs
Member with 29 posts.

10-Jun-2012, 11:57 AM #11
wow. I've learned a lot from you guys. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks guys!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
gaming, gaming processor

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!