Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Laptop Project

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 5,855 posts.

Experience: Advanced
11-Jun-2012, 07:32 PM #16
Hey Triple6... thanks for the link. Have you tried that BIOS upgrade yet?

While I don't have SSDs in my ThinkPads, I am intrested in using those BIOS versions since they swap out the fn<>CTRL key, which to me - makes it worth using big time.

I'll give it a try on my R61i. I'll need to double check that thread, as later on - they discuss having newer versions of those modified BIOSes.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 43,371 posts.

11-Jun-2012, 07:36 PM #17
Yup, I have the modded BIOS's on both my ThinkPad's and both work great.
Computer Specs
Member with 5,855 posts.

11-Jun-2012, 10:13 PM #18
Quote:
Personally, I don't think widescreen displays are silly.
My issue is with the 16:9 in which they take away the height in exchange for width. When it comes to Thinkpads, they don't cram in Numeric keypads. It makes the notebooks ungainly large.

For example, a 14" 16:10 notebook screen is just as tall as a 15.6" 16:9. The 14" ends up being nicer as you get a smaller overall-notebook with the same size screen (in a way). Nowadays, everything is 16:9... the good thing about it (I admit) is when hooking to a projector or HDTV, the aspect ratio and resolution will match.
Account Disabled with 1,906 posts.

Experience: Between Vast & Half-Vast
11-Jun-2012, 10:41 PM #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compiler View Post

@Snagglegaster: Your point is valid... there are ThinkPads that are way too old. But even some old ones runs amazing well. The price is very low for something with good quality to it. Many cheap notebooks will only live for 1-2 years. They flex, the keyboards are yucky. My used X61 is dinged up, but its solid. Since I sometimes work on notebooks - Thinkpads ARE tough inside, the really do use a crash-cage for which the plastic covers/keyboards are attached to. While a cheap notebook, everything sits on the plastic bottom. Sad, a client who bought a cheap Toshiba - had it for 5 years, used it 10~15 times, died... just when he had a real need for a notebook.... oh well.
I've had a couple of Thinkpads back when they were made by IBM that lasted like the Rock of Gibraltar. But that doesn't change the fact that computer reliability is unpredictable, and laptops are expensive to repair or upgrade even as DIY fixes. So, I'd tend to go with new hardware, a warranty, and live with the warts. Given a regular backup policy.

It isn't just newer laptop keyboards that suck: check out current iMacs. They have that same zero feed back chiclet-style keyboard, with a numeric keypad offered as an add on or a replacement for the factory keyboard.Essentially, I have no argument with the proposition that hardware isn't made to the same standard as it was a few years ago. I'm suggesting that as hardware prices fall, and as even cheap hardware becomes more capable, that isn't as important as it used to be.

11-Jun-2012, 10:52 PM #20
Quote:
My issue is with the 16:9 in which they take away the height in exchange for width. When it comes to Thinkpads, they don't cram in Numeric keypads. It makes the notebooks ungainly large.

For example, a 14" 16:10 notebook screen is just as tall as a 15.6" 16:9. The 14" ends up being nicer as you get a smaller overall-notebook with the same size screen (in a way). Nowadays, everything is 16:9... the good thing about it (I admit) is when hooking to a projector or HDTV, the aspect ratio and resolution will match.
Well, I may like the extra room for multiple windows, but I can't begin to count the number of clients I have that may have 10 or 12 apps open at one time, and every one is running in full screen mode on 22" to 27" monitors. Maybe Windows 8 isn't so screwy after all?
Computer Specs
Member with 5,855 posts.

12-Jun-2012, 02:59 AM #21
True... But since Metro isn't "Windows"... then such a user doesn't need Microsoft or Windows.

13-Jun-2012, 07:19 PM #22
Quote:
True... But since Metro isn't "Windows"... then such a user doesn't need Microsoft or Windows.
Yeah, it isn't like I'm going to rush out and be an early adopter, or that I anticipate building many Win8 systems. I'm just speculating that the gripes many of us older Windows users have with the Metro interface may not matter much to a lot of folks in, perhaps, a year. Win8 will still run legacy Windows apps very well, albeit in a clunky fashion; since the Win8 Desktop remains clumsy. It's like that awkward transition from from DOS, to Windows 3.x to Windows 95 and beyond.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
4gb ram, 6510b, compaq, ssd drive, upgrade

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!