Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Computer freezes, CPU fails, solution?

(!)

Member with 10 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
13-Jun-2012, 11:19 AM #1
Question Computer freezes, CPU fails, solution?
Computer freezes, CPU fails, solution? I recently have this problem. My computer HP dc7700 SFF freezes randomly. I keep this computer on all the time for running a teamspeak server (very light use). The computer freezes randomly, usualy when I'm not using it for a while (I use another computer for general use) The computer will just freeze, the screen stops, can't move the mouse, numlock on keyboard has no response. There's no event log on computer management. I have no idea what's going on. I open the case and find that the cpu heatsink is cold. The fan of the CPU and PSU are working and don't seem to be overheat, I can eject the DVD-drive's tray. The screen stop, if it freezes for a long time, it will just have black screen. I can force shut down and start and work again. So does can anyone know what's the problem? CPU failing? anything I can do to fix it? any help is appreciated The computer's spec Core2Duo 1.86Ghz 128mb ATI x600 3GB DDR2 Ram 2X 2TB drives, DVD-burner
Account Disabled with 6,319 posts.

13-Jun-2012, 12:23 PM #2
If you are using the stock power supply,it is probably
going out.
It is only 240 watts and you have a pretty heavy load
running for such a low power power supply.
Might want to consider upgrading that to a better supply
with a higher power output rating.
Please don't use a cheap power supply.
It can damage your computer.
Get an antec,corsair,OCZ or similar 80+ certified unit.
Member with 10 posts.

13-Jun-2012, 12:48 PM #3
It's a business SFF, I wont be able to change PSU, maybe I run one less hard drive and DVD drive and/or display card?
Member with 11,761 posts.

13-Jun-2012, 12:52 PM #4
Try either Uninstalling the video card a driver and restarting the PC and also check for any update drivers for it
Account Disabled with 6,319 posts.

13-Jun-2012, 03:37 PM #5
Removing one drive could help.
An SFF should have onboard video.
Might want to use that too.
Hopefully the power supply isn't on it's way out already.
Member with 10 posts.

19-Jun-2012, 03:49 PM #6
HI, i tried the HWInfo ( http://www.hwinfo.com/ ) and the log showed that the CPU voltage and temperature were fine. The computer just stopped and crashed. Screen are stopped, cant move the mouse and thing like that. The CPU was cold, all the fans are moving. I can still use the computer after i restart it. The crashes are pretty random sometimes after one day, sometimes after 2 or more days. anyone have any idea? I can upload the log if needed.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
cpu

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!