Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

PC sometimes turns on, sometimes not

(!)

Member with 5 posts.

15-Jun-2012, 11:21 PM #1
PC sometimes turns on, sometimes not
My problem with a pc is that sometimes it powers up sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes I have to keep pushing the power button like a hundred times before the pc respond. On some days it only takes a few attempts to power it up. Actually this is my neighbor's pc -- in fact, two of them exactly the same make on the hardwares (power supply, motherboard, casing, cpu, fan, memory, etc.) and both have the same problem. They are clones by the way. Anybody who can help me please?
captainron276   (Ron) captainron276 is offline captainron276 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 3,682 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
15-Jun-2012, 11:27 PM #2
Please use the TSG System Info tool to let Tech's know the specs of your computer: http://static.techguy.org/download/SysInfo.exe Copy and paste the results here in your thread.
Also, if its a brand name system like an Acer,Dell or HP, please post the exact model of the system.
Dell-Kris Dell-Kris is offline Dell-Kris has a Profile Picture
Dell Representative with 136 posts.

17-Jun-2012, 08:24 AM #3
Hello tybuzz,
My name is Krishna and I work for the Social Media and Community Team at Dell. The make and model number of your system would be helpful. However, try the troubleshooting steps mentioned on http://dell.to/fwGlC0 and see it helps. If it doesn't, It's more likely that you have a power supply or motherboard failure.

Regards,
Dell-Kris K
Computer Specs
Moderator with 30,674 posts.

17-Jun-2012, 09:34 AM #4
First of all, we need to know the specs of the system you are working on; ie exact mb, cpu, what pw supply, video card, etc, etc. No one knows what we are working on.

Next cold boot problems are very often pw supply related. To test, swap in a known good pw supply. You do not have to fully install the test unit; simply connect the atx pw, aux pw, and video pw [if used] Hit the ON button and see if the system will complete post.

Note known good does NOT mean new; it means a pw supply pulled from a working system that you know works. A new pw supply can be DOA just like any other part. This would really mess up your troubleshooting.
Member with 5 posts.

18-Jun-2012, 04:42 AM #5
@crjdriver, dell-kris, captainron276,

Sorry I didn't reply right away guys, the internet connection of the nearby internet cafe was bad for a couple of days. thanx for answering guys, i really appreciate it. My problem is compounded because the computer has not turned on for a few days now so I could not use the SysInfo.exe app that captainron276 linked for me. but i took a picture of the motherboard and the power supply (kindly see attachment). I hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
PC sometimes turns on, sometimes not-dsc00320.jpg   PC sometimes turns on, sometimes not-dsc00317.jpg  
Computer Specs
Member with 59 posts.

Experience: Advanced
18-Jun-2012, 05:12 AM #6
Wicked pics, so no turning aye? I would venture to suggest your neighbor has never upgraded these systems for some time. They are old dude. Like really old. That black slot takes a AGP card... For. Better graphics. No body makes these anymore because we have moved onto epci now.
That other little slot on the right is for more ram, notice how there is not anything there? I'd bet that's 512mb max at best what's in there right now.
Saddley I don't anyone can help....
Member with 5 posts.

19-Jun-2012, 10:09 AM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by iKarnt View Post
Wicked pics, so no turning aye? I would venture to suggest your neighbor has never upgraded these systems for some time. They are old dude. Like really old. That black slot takes a AGP card... For. Better graphics. No body makes these anymore because we have moved onto epci now.
That other little slot on the right is for more ram, notice how there is not anything there? I'd bet that's 512mb max at best what's in there right now.
Saddley I don't anyone can help....
@iKarnt,

haha. yeah man these machines are old. but they did function well enough until about 2 months ago when the problem of sometimes it turns on, sometimes it doesn't became apparent. yesterday one those clunkers did turn on. so what's your guess is the problem..is it the power button or the power supply?
Dell-Kris Dell-Kris is offline Dell-Kris has a Profile Picture
Dell Representative with 136 posts.

25-Jun-2012, 05:32 AM #8
Hi tybuzz,
As I mentioned before, it more likely and issue with the Power Supply.

Regards,
Dell-Kris K
Computer Specs

25-Jun-2012, 08:17 AM #9
It is VERY easy to tell if it is a bad pw ON switch or a failing pw supply. Simply jump across the pw switch pins on the mb. If it posts repeatedly, you have a bad switch [not likely I would put my money on a failing pw supply]
Member with 5 posts.

27-Jun-2012, 03:52 AM #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by crjdriver View Post
It is VERY easy to tell if it is a bad pw ON switch or a failing pw supply. Simply jump across the pw switch pins on the mb. If it posts repeatedly, you have a bad switch [not likely I would put my money on a failing pw supply]
could you instruct me how to jump the pw switch pins please..?
Computer Specs

27-Jun-2012, 09:19 AM #11
Remove leads from pw switch connector on mb and jump the mb connectors with a small screwdriver or other small piece of metal. Again it is most likely a failed pw supply and not the switch.

Last edited by crjdriver; 27-Jun-2012 at 11:09 AM..
Member with 5 posts.

30-Jun-2012, 07:15 PM #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by crjdriver View Post
Remove leads from pw switch connector on mb and jump the mb connectors with a small screwdriver or other small piece of metal. Again it is most likely a failed pw supply and not the switch.
k, thanks i will do this today. will post back for results. thanks a lot guys
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!