Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Overclocking AMD Phenom ii 955 Balck Edition Issues

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
18-Jun-2012, 04:43 PM #1
Exclamation Overclocking AMD Phenom ii 955 Balck Edition Issues
Hi all.

I'm admittedly new to overclocking but I generally have a good understanding of my PC. Including Bios utilities ect. I have recently tried to overclock my CPU to 3.6Ghz, Although I was hoping for 3.8Ghz. However, My problems are as general as everyone else. After I overclock my CPU I get the infamous Blue Screen.

As the title of the thread shows, I'm overclocking a AMD Phenom ii 955 Black Edition from it's stock speed of 3.2GHZ. I have been using the AMD Over Drive Program and had recently tried these settings (Almost to success.)

3.6 Ghz using Multiplier of 18.0 and 1.40v on core. I ran a 1 hour stress test (Buit in-to Program) and I Blue Screened 45 Minutes into it. Even know my temp was only 47c! I am aware these forums suggest to test with Prime but the only program I was able to find was 'wPrime' which my Processor passed.

I'd Greatly appreciate help from anyone. I've also tried overclocking in Bios however my Bios is weird. It's fully updated* But there is no obvious O.C Functionality. Only a core setting set at '-2%'. Even know my Mobo supports O.Cing. I'm not even sure if 1.40v is 'safe' at that relatively low clock...

My temps on idle are 33-35c and 45c under full load. I use the Corsair H60 Water Cooler.

As I said, I'm new to this so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Member with 3,514 posts.

Experience: Advanced
23-Jun-2012, 06:47 PM #2
List ALL of your hardware (ie: brands and models).

And I haven't OCed in years. But you generally don't just increase a single item and test. You would generally underclock everything, then slowly ramp up a single setting until it gets unstable. Then lower it back and slowly increase the next setting until it gets unstable. This would be done for the FSB, then the cpu multiplier, etc.

If you don't get a response here, check out the OCing section at techsupportforum or hardocp
Computer Specs
Member with 3,855 posts.

23-Jun-2012, 07:35 PM #3
FYI The program to stress a Cpu with is called Prime95.
Computer Specs
Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
24-Jun-2012, 07:52 AM #4
Thanks for the replies.
Hardware-
Mother board: ASUS M4A785TM
Processor: AMD Phenom ii BE
Graphics: 1X EVGA (Nvidia) GTX 570 2.5GB
RAM: 8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 666MHz (9-9-9-24)
PSU: X-Case 900w (Max 772w)
O.S Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit SP1
Computer Specs
Moderator with 30,179 posts.

24-Jun-2012, 09:32 AM #5
First of all, have you read the guide at the top of the page for overclocking? It is a little outdated and I really need to rewrite it however it still has useful info for your needs.

Your board has overclocking settings in the bios. It is under the advanced>jumperfree setting and you will probably need to enable manual overclocking. IMO ALL overclocking should be done in the bios and NOT by some "overclocking app" after each change in the bios, you need to test for stability with either prime95 or OCCT. I prefer prime95 for testing however that is me. If an overclock is not prime95 stable, it is worthless.

At this point you really have no idea exactly what is causing the bsod so I would do the following;
1 Find the pci lock and engage it; set to 100.
2 Lower ram speed to the next lower setting. In addition your ram may or may not need additional vdimm or ram voltage. Usually the required voltage is on a sticker attached to the ram OR check the specs from the maker's site
3 Set cpu multi to stock which is probably 16 in your case.
4 Now up the FSB to something like 210 and run a stability test for at least 10~15min. If it passes, then up it again to 215 and repeat the test. Keep doing this until you find an error or have other stability issues. Back-off to a known stable overclock.

Remember there is NO safe overclock. Do not overclock with parts you cannot afford to replace.
Moderator with 30,179 posts.

24-Jun-2012, 09:34 AM #6
I should have added to the above the very first thing you need to do is read your mb manual. It has all of the bios menus/options; you need to be familiar with these options.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
amd, black edition, blue screen, overclock phenom 955

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!