Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Cant access my Hard Drive. Help?.

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
21-Jun-2012, 07:51 AM #1
Question Cant access my Hard Drive. Help?.
Hi Guys,

Well, long story short. I have (had) a Western Digital My World Book Edition NAS drive [White lights 1TB version].

I got sick and tired of the constant loss of connections to the drive and decided it would be more beneficial to use it either as an internal drive OR via a USB caddy.

Now to the problem. I plug the drive into my custom PC into a spare SATA port and the computer picks it up, installs it and is "ready to use", However when I go into Disk manager it recognises that there is a drive BUT does not allocate a drive letter to any of the 4 partitions on the drive.

I took it out, plugged it into my SATA -USB converter and tried on my laptop and the same problem.

Now my predicament is I CANT afford to lose the data on the drive and I canít use it as a NAS drive, so in essence HOW can I get this dam drive working in windows without losing my data from formatting it?.

OR how can I get this drive working in one of my Linux distro's, *note* I run them in VMware Player.

My IT skills level are not so bad, I work in IT so I am not afraid to get my hands dirty as you could say but I must stress whichever method I use must not erase the data from the drive as it has 4 years of university work plus 200 od GB of music.

Thanks for reading and I very much look forward to your thoughts on this!

Have a great day!
J
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
hard drive access, nas

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!