Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Thoughts on external laptop coolers

(!)

Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 7,141 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
22-Jun-2012, 10:53 AM #1
Thoughts on external laptop coolers
Does anyone have any opinions on external laptop coolers, whether they be standalone fans or "pads" the laptop sits on? I'm looking at getting a cooler for a Toshiba Satellite laptop that's been running a bit warm and I was looking at some cooling 'pads', like these:

Cooler Master NotePal
Thermaltake Massive23 ST
Vantec Lapcool 4
Antec USB-Powered

Do these cooling "pads" tend to work ok? Online reviews I read indicate they do but I haven't had much personal experience with them.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated!

Peace...
Member with 11,761 posts.

22-Jun-2012, 10:57 AM #2
Yes they do work as when I had my laptop I had it jacked up with a household fan blowing full on the underneath. I finally got a laptop cooler and it did work better but I think they stole my idea.

Have you also tried cleaning the Heatsink out of any dust with a can of compressed air
Computer Specs

22-Jun-2012, 11:16 AM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megabite View Post
Have you also tried cleaning the Heatsink out of any dust with a can of compressed air
I didn't use compressed air but I did blow through the vents and some dust came out when I powered the system back on. I confirmed the CPU fan was spinning.

Thanks for the feedback!

Peace...
Member with 11,761 posts.

22-Jun-2012, 11:23 AM #4
When I was trying to keep the heat down on my laptop I took the heatsink out and cleaned it and re placed the thermal paste.....before I did that the fan was going high a lot. It certainly made a big difference but was very fiddly.

With most laptops your fighting the heat battle.
Computer Specs
Member with 4,312 posts.

Experience: Advanced
22-Jun-2012, 09:55 PM #5
You may find a dismantling guide here if you decide to get inside to clean it :- http://www.irisvista.com/

What model Toshiba Satellite is it ?
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
22-Jun-2012, 10:57 PM #6
I have a pad for home, but for outside, I use this fan.

It really pumps out the heat and is a bit easier to carry around.
Computer Specs

23-Jun-2012, 10:42 AM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by managed View Post
You may find a dismantling guide here if you decide to get inside to clean it :- http://www.irisvista.com/

What model Toshiba Satellite is it ?
I want to say it's a Satellite Pro L505D-S(something) but I forget. It's not that I'm not able or willing to dismantle the laptop, it's just I wasn't wanting to do it that night. I find when I embark on those kinds of projects, Murphy shows up and that would have meant I would have been there until 3am getting it back together and running again. lol

So far, the blowing I did seems to have helped since the system is running at normal warmth now. One of these days, I'll crack it open and do a more thorough inspection and cleaning, if necessary. Thanks for the link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvandil View Post
I have a pad for home, but for outside, I use this fan.

It really pumps out the heat and is a bit easier to carry around.
Awesome! Thanks!

Peace...
Computer Specs
Member with 4,312 posts.

Experience: Advanced
23-Jun-2012, 07:53 PM #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdkat View Post
I want to say it's a Satellite Pro L505D-S(something) but I forget. It's not that I'm not able or willing to dismantle the laptop, it's just I wasn't wanting to do it that night. I find when I embark on those kinds of projects, Murphy shows up and that would have meant I would have been there until 3am getting it back together and running again. lol

So far, the blowing I did seems to have helped since the system is running at normal warmth now. One of these days, I'll crack it open and do a more thorough inspection and cleaning, if necessary. Thanks for the link.

Peace...
I am all too familiar with that Murphy !

I always intend to stop those sort of jobs when I'm getting tired but I never seem to actually do it. Too stubborn I suppose and it does increase the spare screws collection nicely.

Just like to add that Elvandil's little fan looks kind of, well, cool.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
27-Jun-2012, 02:47 AM #9
The "little fan" actually connects to the output vent (it is actually located as pictured on most Satellites), so it helps the internal fan, possibly even taking over its functions if the internal fan failed. But the advantage is that it cools the area that the manufacturer thought needed cooling the most when they designed to cooling system, and just adds to that. I use it on a Toshiba Satellite, as a matter of fact. It has 2 speeds, but I always run it on high. It's silent. Why would someone ever think that their machine needed less cooling? (I better turn that down. I'm getting frost on the screen!)

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!