Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Printer Problems

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 26 posts.

Experience: Beginner
22-Jun-2012, 08:00 PM #1
Unhappy Solved: Printer Problems
I have aHP F4480 Deskjet All-In-One Printer that had been working properly ,but has suddenly stoped working completely. It is connected to an HP Pavillion Notebook which has Windows Vista 32 bit operating system.I have not made any change to the system. I replaced the cartridges recently & Printer continued to print there after. I ran a HP Print & Scan Doctor test which indicated printer is A-okay. When I turn the Printer on the on/off button it lightsup & the orange light blins continuously.When I put a document on the glass under the lid & press print nothing happens, there is no internal movement within the Printer.I am completely frustrated as to what the cause is.Need help soon

ardvark
Member with 43,642 posts.

22-Jun-2012, 10:32 PM #2
When you turn it on, does it sound like it's cycling through or makes mechanical noises? Some times the scanner, which rides on one or two rails, binds up if it's lubrication has run dry and binds up the system. You can check by removing the glass on top, while the machine is off, and see if you can move the scanner by hand. If it's real stubborn then lube the rails with a fine oil and try again. If it moves more freely then clean and replace the glass and try...
Computer Specs
Member with 26 posts.

23-Jun-2012, 02:39 PM #3
When I turn printer on it will cycle thru untilready to print. It does make a loud mechanical noise & on on occasion a grinding noise. Your suggestion to remove glass will be tried, but how do I remove the glass to get at the scanner?

ardvark

23-Jun-2012, 02:53 PM #4
Grinding noises aren't good but could be related. It looks like a lot of plastic has to be removed in order to get at the screws that hold the glass in place, so be prepared for a bunch of labor. However, there are a couple of other things. You can hold the top cover open while turning on the machine and see if the scanner, with light blaring, moves smoothly back and forth and if it does then you probably don't have to go through the effort. Another thing is: The ink cartridge carrier also rides on a back rail that should be lubed and not sticky. You can touch it with your finger and see if it's sticky. If so clean gently with a rag and apply fine oil. The real problem is that when the machine is turned on it goes through an initialization that times the mechanical parts with the electronic ones. When the timing isn't there it interrupts things.
Computer Specs
Member with 26 posts.

23-Jun-2012, 03:42 PM #5
I have tried your suggestions.I cleaned the cartridge back rail&lubricated it seems to cycle smoother.However in trying with cover open & turning on theprinter thescanner would only open 1/4" with light blaring back of tray.
I also noted that there is an E in the window next to the cartridge levels ( the color area has an arrow flashing vertical & shows empty & the black one shows 3/4 full).But will still not print ardvark

23-Jun-2012, 05:53 PM #6
A lot of printers won't print when one or more of the cartridges registers as being empty. Do you have another available?

24-Jun-2012, 12:51 AM #7
Another thought. Is to unplug the USB cable and plug it back in to see if the computer senses it...
Computer Specs
Member with 26 posts.

27-Jun-2012, 03:56 PM #8
Sorry for not getting back to you.I have tried your last suggestion and nothing happens at all.Decided to Uninstall program & download again even this did not help situation remains the same. I am going to call HP directly for their help as this problem is getting to me. Thanks for your help I will let you know of the outcome.

28-Jun-2012, 12:02 AM #9
I'd appreciate knowing the outcome, thanks ardvark...
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!