Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Black screen issue with Latop

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
24-Jun-2012, 07:52 PM #1
Black screen issue with Latop
Hello there! I am hoping one of you friendly folks might be able to assist me with a bit of an issue I am encountering with my Lenovo B560 laptop.

The current issue the system is having is when it is turned on the system's screen will remain black as if the system were off, although the systems LED lights do turn on and I can hear the HDD on the system which would indicate to me that the system is on with no display.

So far these are the steps I have taken to try and address the issue:

1. Throughly cleaned all of the dust out of the laptop to ensure it is not over heating.

2. I have power cycled the device by removing the battery from the laptop and unplugging the device from its power adapter, then holding down the power button for 60 seconds, plugging the laptop back into with the adapter, and tried once more with no luck. I have done this with and with out the battery to see if it made any sort of difference, which I did not. The battery LED on the system does indicate if the battery is attached, however, so I am unsure if the issue would be related to it. I have repeated this step numerous times.

3. I have attached the system to an external monitor and tried booting the system with it connected. When doing so the monitor will recognize that the system is attached to it by displaying the amber led light where the power button is located. Upon turning the system on no display appears on the monitor to indicate that the system is POSTing.

4. I have swapped out the RAM on the system with no results.

I should mention that prior to this issue the laptop was having a problem where it would shut it self off after about 5 minutes of use, which would lead me to believe that the issue is related to the way in which the system gets power.

Any assistance with this issue would be greatly appreciated!
Computer Specs
Member with 4,238 posts.

Experience: Advanced
24-Jun-2012, 09:03 PM #2
Shine a light onto the screen and see if there is a dim display.

Also attach the external Monitor again and hold down the FN key and press each F key (top row of keyboard) in turn and see if there is a display on the Monitor.
Computer Specs
Member with 3,307 posts.

25-Jun-2012, 04:29 AM #3
I agree with managed.

Try it again with an external monitor attached the use the FN+F keys. Normally, the video output on a laptop is not actually turned on, you have to cycle through the available video options (laptop screen, external screen, laptop & external screen) using the above key combination.

Commonly the keys are FN+F4, but have a look at your keyboard to see which one it is. One of the function keys will have an orange symbol on it which looks a bit like a monitor (common symbol). After pressing the FN+F key, wait about 10 seconds to see if you get anything on the monitor, then press it again, try this 3 or 4 times.

As for the light, another good idea and this can help identify if the laptop screen backlight has failed. You need a fairly good light and you will have to look carefully at the screen. Let it boot then shine the light at it and look closely, see if you can see any of the normal, expected image. If you can see it then it is likely that the backlight and/or inverter has failed, this can normally be replaced fairly easily.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
black screen, laptop, lenovo b560

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!