Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Computer/Monitor Shut Down After Boot

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
26-Jun-2012, 01:03 PM #1
Computer/Monitor Shut Down After Boot
Last night I was messing around on my desktop just fine without any problems. Well after getting home from work this morning, I tried moving my mouse or pressing a key to get my monitor to turn back on but nothing seemed to work. The computer was still running, but the monitor's light stayed amber. I turned off the monitor and turned it back on and I got the "No Signal" message. I then turned off my computer by holding the power button down, allowed 30 seconds to pass, then turned the computer back on. The monitor came back on with no problem so I thought maybe it just had a hiccup. I allowed it to do its chkdsk, watched the dell loading screen, then watched the windows xp loading screen, then the desktop started to load. After about 30 seconds of the desktop loading, the computer just turned itself off and restarted again. The same process took place, but this time after 30 seconds the monitor went black, the green light turned amber, but my computer stayed on and kept running. My MSN automatically signs me in during the start up process and I noticed on my laptop that my account was signed in, so this let me know that the computer was still running normally.

With all of that, I do not have another monitor to swap out with to see if the original monitor is the issue. I have not done any diagnostics to the desktop as I have learned in the past to not mess with a computer before I seek professional help as I can just cause more problems. Normally I would start the computer in safe mode and run my virus/malware/spyware programs, check to see if all drivers are updated, and if necessary, do a system restore.

I'm not sure about any of the system specs, other than it has Windows XP Media Center Edition, as the desktop is about 6-7 years old and is actually not mine.

Just let me know what information or tips you might have.
Computer Specs
Member with 4,435 posts.

Experience: Advanced
26-Jun-2012, 08:22 PM #2
To check the Monitor connect it to the laptop and see if it shows a display ok. You may have to hold down the FN key and .press one of the F keys (top row) to switch the display to the Monitor. The correct F key might have a picture with a laptop and and a screen on it, if in doubt try them all.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
auto shutdown, black screen, can't start computer

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!