Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Need guidance on formatting, setting up netbook w/ Windows 7

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 1,376 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
26-Jun-2012, 10:20 PM #1
Need guidance on formatting, setting up netbook w/ Windows 7
It has been so long since I went through the process of wiping and then re-formatting a hard drive, that I would really appreciate some guidance here. I have a Velocity netbook with a messed-up OS. A very knowledgable guy checked it out and said it's FUBAR. I do not have the original OS disk from the company and they don't have one to send me; long story. In any case, I have my Win7 home premium disk, and I'd like to put that on the netbook.

Can someone give me a link or hold my hand a little so that I can get the HD erased, re-formatted, and then install the new OS? The more basic the explanation, the better. Step-by-step.......

fwiw: I did this many times in the past, but not since about 2003.

Thank you!
Computer Specs
Member with 1,376 posts.

26-Jun-2012, 10:22 PM #2
.....oh, and one other thing: the netbook does not have a CD drive, but I have an external USB drive to use. I know that getting the HD to see the CD drive is one of the earliest steps when re-formatting.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
27-Jun-2012, 12:04 AM #3
You don't "wipe" anything and you don't format any more, either. You just start the setup. When it asks you where you want it, you can use the advanced options to choose installation location. It is wise at that point to remove all partitions and then create new ones in the unallocated space. It is a rare chance to rebuild the partition tables.

The onscreen directions are very complete. Read everything. It isn't there just to fill the space.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,376 posts.

27-Jun-2012, 04:37 PM #4
Hi, that's good news, but what's happening is that when I turn it on, it goes right into XP setup mode; it says "setup restarting." Previous to this, someone had tried repeatedly to install XP, and even when I remove the XP OS disk from the CD drive, and restart, it keeps cycling right back to this. What do I do so that it sees the new Win7 CD?
Computer Specs
Member with 1,376 posts.

27-Jun-2012, 05:09 PM #5
Update: a pro PC tech said over the phone that my new Win7 disk will not work because it will recognize that it's already been used, and will konk out after 30 days. The disk I tried to use with this is an HP XP disk.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
27-Jun-2012, 09:11 PM #6
An HP disk can only be used on the machine it came with. It has drivers for that model, is licensed to that model, probably won't work on a different model, and is illegal to install on a different model.

You'll need a new disk. Try the free YLMF in the meantime. It is Linux-based but looks like XP.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,376 posts.

28-Jun-2012, 01:59 AM #7
Not interested in being illegal. But why won't my Win7 home premium disk work? I'm supposed to be able to use the same disc for one laptop as well, right? Isn't that the way it's always been?

If not, what about buying one on Ebay? Any ideas on what I should look for? Thanks for your help; I don't want to order something and then have it not work.....such a hassle returning things.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 31,213 posts.

28-Jun-2012, 03:25 PM #8
No, you cannot use a hp disk on another system; it violates the eula. OEM type windows disk live and die with the original hardware. You can install on the original hardware ONLY.
If you want to install win7, then you need to purchase either a retail disk or an oem disk.
Member with 1,376 posts.

28-Jun-2012, 03:59 PM #9
CRJ driver, maybe you didn't see my last post...I understand and won't use the HP software. Don't want to be illegal. I am asking about my Windows 7 OS that is on my custom computer, and for which I have the OS disc. My understanding is that it is completely legal to install the OS on one other computer. That would be this one. I am just wondering if I can make it work?
Computer Specs
Member with 1,376 posts.

28-Jun-2012, 04:00 PM #10
clarification: "one other LAPTOP computer" is my understanding. That is, a person can use it for home and a laptop.
Computer Specs
Member with 11,419 posts.

28-Jun-2012, 11:32 PM #11
Your Retail Copy of Windows can only be installed and used on one computer at a time per the EULA.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,376 posts.

29-Jun-2012, 12:25 AM #12
Ok, so much for that idea. I'll have to buy a copy of XP on ebay or something......any suggestions?
Computer Specs
Moderator with 31,213 posts.

29-Jun-2012, 09:58 AM #13
Quote:
I'm supposed to be able to use the same disc for one laptop as well, right? Isn't that the way it's always been?
You are confusing office and windows os. MS has let you install a single copy of office on both a desktop and laptop. The windows os can only be installed on a single computer at a time. If you have a retail version of windows, you can install it as many times as you want however you can only use it on one system at a time.
DaveBurnett   (Dave) DaveBurnett is online now DaveBurnett is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.   DaveBurnett has a birthday soon! DaveBurnett has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 9,907 posts.

Experience: Advanced
30-Jun-2012, 11:50 AM #14
I would have worded that as....

however you can only activate and use it on one system at a time
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!