Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Grafix card help with AMD XP dinosaur

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Beginner
27-Jun-2012, 04:34 PM #1
Grafix card help with AMD XP dinosaur
Having trouble with internet video on my OLD eMachines system. Have good 15mb/s internet connection with >10mb/s actual download speed, but internet video always seems to be dropping frames and the video audio sounds choppy. Have no audio/video problems when running audio or video from my hard drive.

Running:
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 3200+, x86 Family 6 Model 10 Stepping 0
Processor Count: 1
RAM: 1471 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce4 MX Integrated GPU, 64 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 152625 MB, Free - 26880 MB; D: Total - 152625 MB, Free - 17406 MB; L: Total - 1907695 MB, Free - 1358460 MB;
Motherboard: First International Computer, Inc., AU31
Antivirus: McAfee Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware, Updated:Yes
On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

Planning on new system soon, but thinking a grafix card will help in the meantime. The problem is, i have no idea what card might work in my system. Attached picture shows my expansion slots. Any help (other than buy a new computer!) would be much appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Grafix card help with AMD XP dinosaur-amd-computer-slots-600.jpg  
Member with 3,767 posts.

Experience: Advanced
27-Jun-2012, 08:15 PM #2
On first glance, and based on the color, I'd say it's a AGP slot. Those cards are getting hard to find.

In any case, if HDD files are fine, but internet video is not, it isn't a video (card) problem. Update reinstall the software used for the page you are viewing (ie: Flash, java, etc.).
Computer Specs
Moderator with 42,807 posts.

27-Jun-2012, 08:27 PM #3
For HD Flash video that system will struggle. But have you tried updating Adode Flash Player and trying a different browser such as Mozilla Firefox 13.01 or Google Chrome 19?

But chances are the graphics card is the main problem, Adobe recommends a 128MB card. But if you get certain newer cards they can offload some of the processing off the CPU and load it onto the GPU which will helpo too as Adobe Flash will tax the CPIU heavily and teh XP series are not power houses compared to whats available now. Radeon HD 3xxx or higher and Geforce 8400 and higher cards will offer that. You may want to look on eBay or Craig's list as a new card will cost about half or even the full value of what the whole system is worth.

But an example: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814139053
Ebay options: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_saca...%20agp&_sop=15
Computer Specs
Moderator with 42,807 posts.

27-Jun-2012, 08:29 PM #4
Additionally, you could go into the BIOS setup, F2 or DEL on bootup, and increase the shared video memory size to 128MB or 256MB since you have lots of RAM and see if that helps. You can also install the latest drivers for the Geforce4 series which is located here: http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/5
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!