Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

laptop keyboard not working right?

(!)

Member with 6 posts.

Experience: Beginner
30-Jun-2012, 12:24 PM #1
Question laptop keyboard not working right?
Hi there, I don't know if I'm posting in the right place or not...

I just got a new laptop last night. It is a brand new Toshiba Satellite L745-S4110. I have been using it for a couple hours this morning perfectly fine. Now all of a sudden my keyboard isn't working right. It won't type, but the keys are performing other functions. For example, when I hit the G key or the F key, the search page box comes up. When I hit the N key, a new internet window opens. W closes the internet. R refreshes the page. This is really weird.... How can I fix it? Thanks!
DaveBurnett   (Dave) DaveBurnett is offline DaveBurnett is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. DaveBurnett has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 9,862 posts.

Experience: Advanced
30-Jun-2012, 12:28 PM #2
You've got your wrist leaning on one of the control or alt keys - or one of them is stuck.
Member with 6 posts.

30-Jun-2012, 12:31 PM #3
This might sound stupid, but... What if nothing looks/seems stuck? And I'm not leaning on them, my wrist aren't even on the computer at all.
Member with 6 posts.

30-Jun-2012, 12:34 PM #4
Okay well the battery was very low (I was told to let it completely die before charging it all the way again), and then it died, so I plugged it in and I just turned it back on and it works fine. Could it just be that the battery was so low?
DaveBurnett   (Dave) DaveBurnett is offline DaveBurnett is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. DaveBurnett has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs

30-Jun-2012, 12:39 PM #5
Well the reason I said that was because the shortcut keys for search are <cntrl>f and <cntrl> g.
Try the n key and if that opens a new browser page......
Computer Specs

30-Jun-2012, 12:44 PM #6
It could have been reading the keyboard incorrectly. for that reason.
Once it is fully charged, run it fully flat a couple more times.
It shouldn't need that sort of conditioning nowadays, but it never hurts. (look up battery memory effect)
Member with 6 posts.

30-Jun-2012, 10:11 PM #7
Okay so I turned it back on after it had charged for a few minutes and the keyboard worked properly. Then I used it for quite a while after it was charged and let it die down again (I wasn't using the keyboard this time though, I was playing a game). When I plugged it in tonight and tried to use it (battery was at 6%) it was acting like the FN key was being pressed. I waited for it to charge a bit more (38%) and tried again and it was still doing it, so I restarted the computer and now it's fine.

Is this something that just happens with some laptops? Or is mine defective?
SUEOHIO   (SUE) SUEOHIO is offline SUEOHIO has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 3,684 posts.

01-Jul-2012, 02:44 AM #8
If its brand new it shouldnt have any problems at all.If it happens again i would take it back for a refund as it might be defective in some way.Ive bought quite a few brand new laptops and have never had problems until they usually start getting old.Altho some brands of laptops have been known to have more problems then others.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
keyboard, laptop, toshiba

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!