Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Laptop Cpu upgrade advice

(!)

Member with 3 posts.

02-Jul-2012, 02:16 PM #1
Solved: Laptop Cpu upgrade advice
Hi, I've been given a laptop which is a few years old, and was really slow. I've since added more ram and installed Windows 7 and it's performance has improved quite a bit but I'm also considering upgrading the CPU. The laptop is an E-system Ei 3103 from emachines. and the cpu is an intel celeron m440 1.86 ghz. I've seen a cpu on ebay which is only £6 used, which is a pentium t2080 dual core cpu, but the clock speed is 1.73ghz, which is slightly less but it is dual core. its 533mhz and also socket M. so I think it should fit my laptop but just wanted to check, and would the extra core make enough of a difference to bother taking my laptop apart to fit it? alternatively can anyone tell me any other cpus that may be faster than this one that would also be compatible?

Also, would I need to update the Bios? My concern is that the emachines website has no support/downloads for this model at all so If i need to update anything I don't know where to go. I've emailed them but with no reply.

would I need to adjust any settings in the bios or is this done automatically?

Thanks for reading.
Computer Specs
Member with 11,349 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
02-Jul-2012, 05:38 PM #2
On an eMachines laptop I doubt seriously the the CPU would be upgradeable. You run into other problems when doing so as well. The laptop was designed for that particular processor. Upgrading the processor would put more stress on the system, increase the heat generated, and may not be compatible with the bios. And there is no garaunty that the system would eve support a dual core processor unless you can get confirmation from Emachines that it will.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 42,953 posts.

Experience: Advanced
02-Jul-2012, 06:38 PM #3
I found this: http://www.wimsbios.com/forum/topic10843.html
Seems others are suggesting the T2080 will work.

Also, it appears the laptop is a Uniwill L51ii: http://www.uniwill.com/UserDownload/l51ii/l51ii.php
If that's the case then the release notes for the 1.05 release say that the BIOS adds support for the T5200 and T7200 processors which use newer architecture and have more L2 cache. However there's an even newer 1.10 release that doesn't include release notes but thats the one you should flash if its compatible with your laptop as it should add or include more fixes. The T7200 would be a boost in every aspect; cores, clock speed, cache, bus speed, and newer architecture.

You do not need to adjust any BIOS settings, but the BIOS needs to support the processor, so it should be flashed first.

Of course there's risk involved in the BIOS update and the physical processor swap so be wary and careful.
Member with 3 posts.

03-Jul-2012, 08:07 AM #4
Thanks for that information, thats very helpful. I've checked my bios version and I have the 1.10 so that's good news. I'll have a look at the T7200. Already ordered a T2080 of ebay which only cost £5 so I'll see how that goes first and I'f I need a bit more juice the t7200 looks good. Thanks for your help.
Computer Specs

03-Jul-2012, 12:30 PM #5
np
Member with 3 posts.

05-Jul-2012, 10:51 AM #6
Just though't I'd post an update just incase although unlikely anyone else find's themselves in the same situation. T2080 cpu came this morning, installed it and it is running with no problems so far. Installation was very simple. a few screws underneath the laptop opens up the motherboard, just a few more screws to loosen the heatsink, turn one screw to loosen the CPU and then hey presto. jobs a good en!
Computer Specs

05-Jul-2012, 12:40 PM #7
Great! Thanks for letting us know the outcome
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!