Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Computer randomly shuts down and fails to restart.

(!)

Member with 11,752 posts.

05-Jul-2012, 01:49 PM #16
If the CPU needed thermal paste I would think the temps would be a lot higher on the CPU...I really do not trust the voltage readings unless they are way out. and fans could be the program just can not read it.

How old is the Powersupply?
Computer Specs
Member with 10 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
05-Jul-2012, 10:24 PM #17
Hmm the computer should be around 3 years old. The only hardware ive ever changed or modified is adding the Geforce 8400. I also have a bad habit of leaving it on standby and not quite turning it off all the way if that helps.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 30,851 posts.

07-Jul-2012, 08:49 AM #18
The only thing I see that is strange in hwmonitor is your 3.3V reading however it is probably a problem with the app reading the sensor correctly rather than your voltage really being that low.

If you can check your voltages in the bios, then do so. The bios is more reliable than any software app.
Computer Specs
Member with 10 posts.

07-Jul-2012, 08:30 PM #19
I checked the BIOS and posted my voltages in an earlier post. I had noticed that none of them fluctuated except for the 3.3v reading, i'm not sure if that is normal however. I'm starting to lean towards maybe getting a new motherboard or power supply not sure if that is a good idea or not though.
Computer Specs

07-Jul-2012, 09:21 PM #20
If you see either the 3.3V, 5V or 12V values fluctuating in the bios, that indicates a pw supply problem. Some voltages are supposed to go up and down such as vcore or cpu voltage however not the ones listed above.
Computer Specs
Member with 10 posts.

07-Jul-2012, 09:31 PM #21
Really great thanks do you think getting a new power supply would be a wise investment? I'm starting to run out of ideas
Computer Specs

07-Jul-2012, 10:16 PM #22
It cannot hurt to install a quality pw supply. For the system you list, a corsair builder series would work ok. This one is $49 after MIR. Note the builder series is ok for a basic build however I would not use one with a high end video card ie nvidia 570 or ati 6870, etc.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139027
Computer Specs
Member with 44 posts.

11-Jul-2012, 11:43 AM #23
Hi,I had the same problem with my pc and I bought a new power supply so now it works fine with no problems.
Computer Specs
Member with 10 posts.

27-Jul-2012, 07:59 AM #24
Thanks for all the help guys I bought a new power supply and it seems to have been fixed!
Computer Specs

27-Jul-2012, 08:52 AM #25
Good work. I wish they were all this easy to fix from afar
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!