Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Applying Thermal Paste??

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 1,055 posts.

Experience: iBuiltaPC - Intermediate
05-Jul-2012, 06:41 PM #1
Solved: Applying Thermal Paste??
Hey guys!
Today I just got my CM Hyper 212 Plus.. I am unsure of how to properly install thermal paste. I've installed it before, but lately I've been seeing a lot of people doing it differently on youtube.
Which way is better?
1. Put in thermal paste and manually spread out the thermal paste with a credit card or something similar.
2. Put in thermal paste and then put the cooler on and let the weight of the cooler spread out the paste.

I have an AMD Phenom 2 x4 945 @3ghz, and the rest of my specs can be seen by clicking the specs icon above..
I'm going to use 99% isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol to remove my previous paste..

Last edited by Sharma7; 05-Jul-2012 at 08:18 PM..
Computer Specs
Member with 404 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
05-Jul-2012, 08:23 PM #2
Personally I prefer to spread it on smoothly. I use a razor blade. Sort of like peanut butter on bread! Never had any luck with a plastic card or similar. I like to think my method is better as it leaves nearly nothing to chance as regards the coverage.
Computer Specs
Member with 2,820 posts.

Experience: Advanced
05-Jul-2012, 08:43 PM #3
Computer Specs
Member with 1,055 posts.

05-Jul-2012, 09:00 PM #4
Thanks for replying.
I'm questioning the reliability of the guide though. The writer likes the one with the most coverage, but I've always thought the main priority was to get the thermal paste covering the core (center). And he also sands the bottom of a CPU cooler, which is something I haven't heard a whole lot of. The writer doesn't make it clear which method would be the most favorable.

Will the simple pea method be good enough?? Or should I do the 2 line method for HDTs shown in the link?? I really don't want to sand my brand new cooler. Oh and don't be offended by this, it's just that I have lots of questions and I'm becoming clueless after seeing so many varied opinions.

I'm probably going to use Arctic Silver 5.. (or maybe the included cooler master paste)

This comparison says that you should not spread it yourself, and should use the pea method:

Last edited by Sharma7; 05-Jul-2012 at 09:23 PM..
Computer Specs
Member with 2,820 posts.

Experience: Advanced
05-Jul-2012, 09:32 PM #5
Nobody uses silicon (the white stuff) unless they don't know better. The Hyper 212 is different because of the groves between the plate and the pipes. If I was going to do it again I would get the Hyper 212 Evo. I reset mine 3 times the method in the link I gave you worked the best for the Hyper 212+
Computer Specs
Member with 1,055 posts.

05-Jul-2012, 11:41 PM #6
Thanks!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
212, hyper, installation, paste, thermal

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!