Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Voices not Working

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 16 posts.

Experience: Beginner
06-Jul-2012, 10:51 AM #1
Solved: Voices not Working
I can't hear voice when I play DVDs or videos or anything of that nature.

In files where it's just voice, like voicemail, I hear nothing. In files where it's combined voice and background like imbedded video (some) it sounds like a VHS tape being played in fastforward. In DvDs I hear background music, sound effects, etc., but not voices.

I get that this is a channel issue, at least I think it's a channel issue, I just don't know how to fix it.

My sound card is onboard crapola, it's RealTek from about 2005. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling drivers and things of that nature, and I got nothing, so a more specific fix would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Member with 11,761 posts.

06-Jul-2012, 11:18 AM #2
Have you installed the update sound driver 2009 and the chip set drivers. Install chip set first and re start the PC and then the sound driver.

http://support.gateway.com/us/en/ema...1&modelId=1342
Computer Specs
Member with 16 posts.

06-Jul-2012, 11:36 AM #3
God, I forgot about that emachines. My computer sucks but it's not that emachines anymore.

I had a computer built.

I have an ASUS m2v motherboard that's about 5 years old.
Member with 11,761 posts.

06-Jul-2012, 11:39 AM #4
Might be a good idea to change your info then.

Have you been to the Asus site and used Auto detect and see if there are any updates

http://support.asus.com/download/opt...uage=en&type=1
Computer Specs
Member with 16 posts.

06-Jul-2012, 12:49 PM #5
Updated audio driver, updated chipset, working on bios update when I have time later to figure out why it didn't work for now I am taking the kids to the beach (gasp outside, oh no!) Also updated computer information on my profile.

Thank you for your assistance so far, and I'll tell you, when I work out the bios update it will (hopefully) fix another problem I was having with my video card crashing

Will work on it more when I get back. I think this is a surround sound issue, but I don't know how to fix it yet, and it's not even set for surround sound, just stereo headset.
Computer Specs
Member with 16 posts.

07-Jul-2012, 04:00 PM #6
Updated as far as I can tell and still no love, I know that this is going to turn out to be something stupid. :/

I don't know if the Bios updater did anything or if in order to update the bios I need to create a boot disk.
Computer Specs
Member with 16 posts.

10-Jul-2012, 12:00 PM #7
Still working on this, no luck. Maybe I need a new video card?
Computer Specs
Member with 16 posts.

11-Jul-2012, 09:58 PM #8
New headset fixed the problem. I meant maybe I need a new sound card, but that wasn't it either, I have a splitter on my audio and I think that if I connect my old headset directly to the jack that might have worked too. Totally odd - I think my splitter was sending half the channels to one item and half to the other.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!