Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Webcam on, not showing video

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Beginner
08-Jul-2012, 06:31 AM #1
Unhappy Webcam on, not showing video
Hello internet tech friends! In May I bought a:

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2450M CPU @ 2.50GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 6050 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M, 1024 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 593551 MB, Free - 495270 MB;
Motherboard: TOSHIBA, PEQAA

I downloaded Skype and was able to use it just fine up through early June. I went on a month long field operation and came back and tried to get it working but it no longer did.

When I turn on my webcam the blue light pops up and I don't get any kind of error messages. On Skype it shows a black screen with the "loading circle" in the middle. On the Toshiba Web Cam Application, it just shows a gray screen.

I've tried doing a few different things. First I made sure everything was updated, to no avail. (My computer says that everything is running well, under "Imaging Devices" the "USB Camera 2.0" is "This device is working properly.") I tried uninstalling and reinstalling. I even tried "restoring" my computer back as far as I could (which was only July 1st). Having done all this and still getting the same result, I tried searching through forums, but have no yet found anyone with the same problem.

I don't understand how it could have broken...but I'm not a techy. I'm currently on a UDP to Japan, and don't have access to a phone, or I would have tried calling Toshiba. I do have a warranty, but I'd like to only use that when it's my last available option.

Thank you for any help, just trying to get in video contact with family and friends that are Stateside.
Member with 3,923 posts.

Experience: Advanced
08-Jul-2012, 04:13 PM #2
Built-in cam or external? If it's external, test it on another PC. If it's internal, you are stuck as it can't be tested.
Computer Specs
Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Beginner
08-Jul-2012, 06:01 PM #3
It is in fact the internal one.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
webcam issues, webcam picture

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!