Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Recovery fails on HP G60-519WM because computer cannot shut down properly

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
09-Jul-2012, 12:20 PM #1
Unhappy Recovery fails on HP G60-519WM because computer cannot shut down properly
1.) Product Name and Number: HP G60-519WM
2.) Operating System installed: Windows 7 64-bit
3.) Error Message:

Failed to restart the computer

Windows cannot restart the computer into the
Windows Recovery Environment to complete the
recovery operation.

4.) Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred:
I think I got a type of malware or something because my computer began to run slower and I keep getting redirected to random websites when I use Google or Bing. The folders on the right side of my start menu such as 'Computer' and 'My Documents' disappeared. I also keep getting this one update for Windows live that stops at 57%.

Problem:
There are no restore points on my computer so I want to do a system recovery back to the manufactuer's image. I downloaded the USB Recovery Flash Disk Utility for my model. Now I want to recover my computer using that USB, but when I run the advanced recovery mode it tries to restart my computer. Since my computer won't shut down properly, I end up having to hold the power button down until my computer shuts down and the recovery doesn't continue when I start up my computer again.

I've tried using F11 but then I just end up on a screen that tells me to either press enter to choose to continue with Windows 7, press tab to move down the list or press esc for more options. I've tried all three and they all end up freezing the screen and the keys begin to make a high pitched beeping sound when I try to press any, so I end up having to force my laptop to shut down.

I have also tried to do recovery by pressing F8 and then choosing the 'repair your computer option'. That causes my computer screen to go black, and I end up having to force it to shut down again.

Is there any way to set my computer to factory settings again?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

J.J.
Member with 3,853 posts.

Experience: Advanced
14-Jul-2012, 05:29 PM #2
I've not used the process, but most often it's not something that you run in Windows, and it then reboots your PC.

You typically perform a cold boot directly to the media.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
computer won't shut down, laptop, recovery

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!