Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

New computer very slow!

(!)

Member with 23 posts.

09-Jul-2012, 03:24 PM #1
Exclamation New computer very slow!
I recently got a cyberpower Black Pearl gaming computer, ($1400) . It has a 2TB SATA III 6GB/S 7200RPM 64MB CACHE hardrive, 16 gigs of DDR3 ram (4 sticks of 4), a NVIDIA GTX560 2GB GDDR5 PCI-E DIRCTX 11 GPU, INTEL I7-3820 3.6 GHZ 10M CPU, a plethora of expensive fans, and a ASROCK X79 EXTREME4 3WAY SLI/CROSSFIRE USB 3.0 SATA 3 motherboard.

The computer usually runs fine whilst running a single process, but starts freezing up every 20 minutes... By freezing i don't mean the screen, but all of my processes start "not responding". After about 10 minutes it comes back. Now by my specs i shouldn't have to deal with these, right? i know it isn't my hardware getting hot, because i have Speedfan and the hottest my things usually get is about 50 C (except for my GPU which while gaming gets up to 65C). But what i do see is where it shows my cores (i have hyperthreading, so 8 bars) usage percentage i see stuff like the 1st 4th and 7th bar at 50% usage and then it switches to the other bars (for example now it would be 2nd 3rd and 7th are at half) which makes me think it might be juggling processes between the 8, which i would think could cause some lag. I'm no expert but reading other's threads i've seen that a few times... Plus when i have to shutdown my computer (which happens constantly) if it dosn't take 20 minutes to boot up i takes me to system repair, which always says it can't connect to system repair and i can't repair it.

I know that's a lot to read but when my $1400 gaming computer cant handle simple tasks it gets frustrating. Please help! I'll do almost anything to get it working! (I've ram-tested my ram and it says its fine)

Last edited by IBeSpyin; 09-Jul-2012 at 04:05 PM..
Member with 23 posts.

09-Jul-2012, 07:15 PM #2
Why does this have 217 views but no replys :/
Computer Specs
Moderator with 42,695 posts.

Experience: Advanced
09-Jul-2012, 07:28 PM #3
Was the system pre-built or did you assemble it? Was Windows pre-installed, did you install Windows, or did you move an existing installation from another computer?

What's the make and model of the power supply?

What is the exact model of the RAM and hard drive? Have you tested the hard drive? The manufacturer such as WD or Seagate will have diagnostics to test the hard drive.

Post a complete screenshot of HW Monitor: http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Thread's will always get more views then responses, many people look for solutions to their own similar problems or check a thread to see if they can help but if they can't they don't post. It's perfectly normal to wait hours or even a day for a response, also the majority of the users would be at work and may not post until they get home and settle in.
Moderator with 30,795 posts.

09-Jul-2012, 07:52 PM #4
One thing I see is that there are two different 3820s and one requires a newer bios than the other. What bios are you currently running and have you updated to the latest bios?

If you are running an older bios AND you decide to update it yourself, be sure you read and fully understand the flashing procedure. While a bios update is not difficult, an incorrect or corrupted flash can render your board unbootable ie junk.
Member with 23 posts.

09-Jul-2012, 08:25 PM #5
Triple: it was pre-assembled by Cyberpower computers, they pre-installed my windows verison (7) as well. My power supply is a XTREMEGEAR 800 WATT POWER SUPPLY with a power supply gasket. By model do you mean the ID number? Also i cant seem to find how to post an image straight from my computer? do i need to use a url? Sorry for my cluelessness :P.

Crjdriver: My bios verison is "American Megatrends inc. P1,80 3/19/2012 Thats exatly what it said in system info... I would expect that to be the latest one :/
Computer Specs

09-Jul-2012, 10:37 PM #6
Did they offer a warranty with it? Definitely would be calling to complain and to get their free support.

Latest BIOS version is 2.00 but both processors versions are support your 1.80 version so that likely isn't the problem.

Have you tested the hard drive? The full test will take several hours.
Member with 23 posts.

09-Jul-2012, 10:51 PM #7
All Cyberpower computer systems come with three year limited warranty and free lifetime phone support from the invoice date...the computer was slow from the start, so what should i call and complain for? a fix or what? how do i do a hard drive test? i'm clueless, sorry
Computer Specs

09-Jul-2012, 11:04 PM #8
What brand is the hard drive?

Complain that it doesn't boot up correctly, that it hangs, that its slow, and whatever other issues it has.
Member with 23 posts.

09-Jul-2012, 11:06 PM #9
sata III
Computer Specs

09-Jul-2012, 11:14 PM #10
Thats a type, not a brand or model number.

Go to Device Manager and expand the Disk Drives Section, post what it lists there.
Member with 23 posts.

09-Jul-2012, 11:17 PM #11
i thought so. i was just confused because on the site it doesn't say :/. ATA ST2000DM001-9YN1 SCSI
Computer Specs

09-Jul-2012, 11:38 PM #12
Download Seatools for Windows from here: http://www.seagate.com/support/inter...ves/barracuda/
Install it and run the full test.
Member with 23 posts.

09-Jul-2012, 11:58 PM #13
"installation ended prematurely because of an error" Yes i've tried to let windows fix the installation...
Computer Specs

10-Jul-2012, 12:17 AM #14
Ok, download the DOS version and burn it to a CD, boot from that and run the diagnostics.

The instructions for doing all that are provided with the download.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 30,795 posts.

10-Jul-2012, 08:48 AM #15
Your bios is new enough for both steppings of cpu so that is not the problem.

I would certainly call and get the system fixed under warranty. If you open the case or do other maintenance on the system, you may void your warranty so call first.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
computer, processes, slow

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!