Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Computer power won't say on

(!)

Member with 471 posts.

10-Jul-2012, 02:09 PM #1
Arrow Solved: Computer power won't say on
Working on a friend's computer ... it won't boot in fact the fans (cpu system) shuts down after a few seconds. When I first powered it up there was no problem ... but when I shut it down and tried booting it up again nothing ... just the fans spinning for a few seconds then nothing. I tried replacing the psu ... same thing ... tried replacing the battery ... no difference.

This ia a HP pavilion p6310f AMD Althon II x4 630 6G ram Win 7 home edition. I'm having a hard time believing it's the mobo because it ran ok at first start up.

Any ideas what is going on?
Computer Specs
Account Disabled with 67 posts.

Experience: Beginner
10-Jul-2012, 05:41 PM #2
Try replacing its power supply.
Member with 471 posts.

10-Jul-2012, 06:22 PM #3
Arrow Been there done that
As I stated in my first post I did replace the power supply (psu) with two different models same result ... thanks for posting.

Anyone out here know how I can check the power switch on the tower? It could be causing this problem.
Computer Specs
Member with 2,820 posts.

Experience: Advanced
11-Jul-2012, 09:09 AM #4
You can unplug the psw from the mobo and just use a screwdriver between the two pins to start it.
Member with 471 posts.

11-Jul-2012, 05:03 PM #5
Hi there ... thanks for posting ... the mobo doesn't have the pins marked and the hp site doesn't show a pin diagram of the front panel ... and what really bothers me is the machine will boot up normally after setting for a few hours ... the pw sw act funny at times, but I wondering why it will start normally after sitting, but if you shut it down and reboot ... nothing. Any idea where I can find the pin info for that mobo? The website with the mobo specs doesn't give any info on the front panel pin setup ...
Computer Specs
Member with 2,820 posts.

11-Jul-2012, 06:59 PM #6
Attached Thumbnails
Solved: Computer power won't say on-capture.jpg  
Member with 471 posts.

11-Jul-2012, 09:04 PM #7
Arrow Wow ... thanks much
I never can find stuff like this ... thanks so much ... now I know where to put the screwdriver ... well sir ... I short the two pins and got the same reaction as the power switch so I guess I can rule that out now. On board video overheating? Something got to be going on for it to boot up after sitting overnight ... when it boots up again I will run Hot CPU tester ... that should tell me if there is something wrong with the mobo.
Member with 1 posts.

12-Jul-2012, 02:48 AM #8
Power on/off on HP pavillion
I'm not an expert but I had almost the same problem. Mine is a Pavillion m8000, and fortunately its running now. The problem that was fixed was this. The computer is on for a few seconds and fans run at the same time and then it turns off automatically. What I did was to replace the power supply even though what i have in stock was only a 300W vs 350W of the suspected original power supply. I got the same results as in the old power supply; it turns on for a second or two and then turns off. I decided to put back the old power supply, but before that I vaccuumed it thoroughly through the vents of the exhaust (power supply box, without opening it), made sure the connections of every terminal is tight, reset the power supply box that's red button just below the exhaust vents ( with cords unplugged you need to push the button to show more than 200V and then wait for about 20 secs and then return to the original 115V), and then lastly check my power button if its working properly through the sound of clicks it makes when turned on or off just to make sure its not stocked either on the on or off position. When i plugged in the power supply chord to the surge protector, THE PROBLEM WASNT THERE ANYMORE. The power supply box light was steady and I hear the hard drive working. I connected the computer to the other accessories and now its working fine.

I could not tell you which of the things I did corrected the problem, but you may want try out the things I did. It worked for me maybe it will work for you. Oh incidentally, since im not an expert, the other thing I did was, A LOT OF PRAYERS....lol. Goodluck and it would be good if you could tell what happened if you do decide to replicate what i did.
Computer Specs
Account Disabled with 67 posts.

Experience: Beginner
12-Jul-2012, 03:57 PM #9
I didn't know what you meant by "psu", but whatever.

Anyways ... replace the motherboard. That's all I can think of.

Or maybe try what the guy above me said.
Member with 135 posts.

12-Jul-2012, 04:21 PM #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuttyBar View Post
I didn't know what you meant by "psu", but whatever.

Anyways ... replace the motherboard. That's all I can think of.

Or maybe try what the guy above me said.
Try re-seating the ram. I had the exact same problem and as soon as I took out the ram and snapped it back in it powered up and it ran perfectly.
Computer Specs
Member with 2,820 posts.

12-Jul-2012, 04:56 PM #11
Check inside the case for any loose connections, reseat the RAM.
Member with 198 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
13-Jul-2012, 01:22 AM #12
try to replace processor if you have spare their....
Computer Specs
Member with 2,088 posts.

13-Jul-2012, 03:12 AM #13
the fact it posts for a few seconds means the motherboard is getting power (not a psu problem)
the best things to do IS to take everything off the mother board and install each part seperatly, testing that it powers on after each componant.

ps. PSU = Power Supply Unit
Member with 471 posts.

13-Jul-2012, 06:12 PM #14
Arrow Thanks for all your input ... still working on it
Well sir ... I disconnected everything and with it all disconnected I still get the same reaction ... power on to the fans for a few seconds then nothing. So far today it has not booted up at all ... I was hoping I could get it to do that to run Hot CPU tester to check out the cpu because I don't have a spare. The PSU has definitely been ruled out. The same with the switch. No loose wires in the case and the ram is properly seated.

If it won't boot up again the mobo is looking more likely the problem ... any one know if the PC3 memory is the same as the DDR3? If the mobo is bad it will have to be replace with a non hp mobo with is much cheaper than $200 for a board that can no longer be bought. If the PC3 is the same as DDR3 then I have a mobo that will run the CPU.
Computer Specs
Member with 2,820 posts.

13-Jul-2012, 06:28 PM #15
Quote:
If the PC3 is the same as DDR3 then I have a mobo that will run the CPU.
Same thing. Your board is an AM3 socket?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!