Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Toshiba Satellite M60 164 Graphics Card Issues

(!)

Member with 14 posts.

10-Jul-2012, 04:37 PM #1
Toshiba Satellite M60 164 Graphics Card Issues
My Toshiba Satellite M60 164 developed a problem with the screen output a while ago as visible by clicking on the following link:
http://flic.kr/s/aHsjAyFKRG
I brought it to a repair place and after a long time and a lot of faffing they informed me that there is a problem with the graphics card. They quoted me a price to repair which was not too bad considering the age of the laptop and the price to just replace it, so I told them to go ahead. They ordered a replacement graphics card, fitted it and tested it only to discover the same problem appeared during the testing. They claimed that this was due to their supplier sending a slightly different part and then quoted a much higher price to source the part from elsewhere, which was however not economical. I got the part no off them (Toshiba VGA BOARD M24C 128, K000027010) and have found somewhere else to buy it for cheaper. However due to poor service and communication by them I am not for them to fix it and before I bring it elsewhere I want to ensure it is the correct part for this laptop as they did not install any faith in me! When I contacted Topaz, Toshiba's spare parts dealer, the lady gave me a different part number and said the graphics board and motherboard are all one when the repair shop had told me they were separate.
Basically I am wondering if anyone can confirm to me what the part number is for the graphic board and if it is attached to the motherboard or not? Also if you have any idea from this limited info if this would fix the problem?
Computer Specs
Member with 4,115 posts.

Experience: Advanced
10-Jul-2012, 05:21 PM #2
Going by the dismantling guide here :- http://www.irisvista.com/tech/laptop...t_laptop_1.htm
And looking at the pic at step #23 :- http://www.irisvista.com/tech/laptop...ite_M65_23.jpg
The graphics chip is the one with the white thermal compound on it and it's soldered onto the system board.
To be absolutely sure though I would follow that guide and have a look yourself.
But it looks like the Topaz woman was correct and the repair shop people are lying to you.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
graphics card, m60 164, motherboard, satellite, toshiba

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!