Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Laptop won't start, need help! I think My motherboard may be dead...

(!)

Member with 79 posts.

10-Jul-2012, 09:04 PM #1
Laptop won't start, need help! I think My motherboard may be dead...
The laptop is a Gateway NV5207u, about 2.5 years old.

It worked fine, no superloud fans or anything, but I came home from work, opened it up, and it won't start.

I press power, and the blue power light comes on, I hear the fans start to kick on, but after a couple seconds it stops. During this point, I get NO output to the screen, no startup beep, nothing. After the fans stop, the power light stays on, but nothing else.

WHAT I'VE DONE:
removed the battery and all cables, held in power for 60 seconds to reset the unit
removed and tested with only one of the RAM sticks (tried with each, just to rule out a bad memstick)
disassembled down to the mainboard, blew out the fan (was not very dirty though, so I don't believe there was a heat issue). rebuilt and reseated all connections.

Finally, I checked Google, there is apparently a design flaw with a bad power cable/switch in this model, however, I bypassed the switch entirely and just shorted out the power connectors on the board itself... the unit DOES power on, but behaves the same.

Does anyone have any other ideas or suggestions, or is my fear (dead mobo) the most likely problem?
Member with 79 posts.

11-Jul-2012, 07:13 PM #2
So, yeah. I hate to do this but... bump?

Does anyone have ANY ideas?
TheShooter93   (Cody) TheShooter93 is offline TheShooter93 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 10,086 posts.

Experience: Advanced
11-Jul-2012, 07:36 PM #3
With a laptop, I would just send it in to the manufacturer at this point for a repair.

You've done everything I could have suggested.

And if you get no response after 24 hours, you are allowed to bump here. If you hadn't, I wouldn't have seen your thread.

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!