Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Possible HDD problem -- freezing and unrecognized drive

(!)

Member with 2 posts.

17-Jul-2012, 08:12 AM #1
Possible HDD problem -- freezing and unrecognized drive
Hello,

I'm having a huge problem with my desktop right now. It's pretty old, but has worked well so far (except for the few BSODs and a GPU that needed replacing 6 months ago).

I'm running Windows XP Pro SP3.

The problem is: about 10-15 minutes after starting up my Windows, everything freezes. That is, everything except for the mouse cursor. I can move the cursor but can't click on anything, nor can I use the keyboard (sometimes the Windows key pops up the Start menu, which I can't use). It seems that this happens faster if i run a game or an application. Sometimes even the cursor freezes for a while. The only option I have is a forced shutdown.

I ran memtest and it turns out RAM is probably not the problem since it passed 5 times with no errors. I suspect HDD to be the problem because another problem appeared after several reboots: the DISK BOOT FAILURE error. There are times when I am able to enter Windows, but mostly not.

Note that I've been running the desktop without any internet connection for the past two weeks, and the only thing I've changed is installing a game and MagicISO beforehand.

I would really prefer to fix this problem myself (with your help), since I am just a regular student without much money to invest in repairs. I will provide additional information if needed.
Any ideas? Thank you in advance.
Member with 2 posts.

17-Jul-2012, 08:15 AM #2
Also: i tried defragmenting and doing chkdsk. It freezed even faster so I wasn't able to finish any.
SUEOHIO   (SUE) SUEOHIO is offline SUEOHIO has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 3,684 posts.

Experience: Advanced
17-Jul-2012, 04:05 PM #3
If you got the disk boot failure message it usually means the harddrive is going or is gone.If thats the case all you can do is replace the harddrive.Hopefully you have saved things like pix, documents, etc, on cds so they wont be lost forever.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!