Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Replacing my new HD with my configured HD...

(!)

Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Advanced
17-Jul-2012, 09:54 AM #1
Replacing my new HD with my configured HD...
I have 2 computers.

1- Toshiba satellite p775 s7148 i5 windows 7 home
2- Dell XPS 17 i7 windows 7 pro

Very simply... I want replace the Hard Drive in the New Dell XPS system with the Hard Drive that was in

the Toshiba which i have configured already.

I have had my Toshiba for a almost 2 months now, and I have configured it exactly how I want it.... Music production/recording software, photography apps, etc... The problem is that I wanted more processing power so I got a new comptuer(Dell XPS). It took a while to get everything up and running, and I don't want to have to re-install everything from scratch.

P.S. The Toshiba Satellite is a really nice computer. I got it from an insurance settlement(They took every piece of electronic equipment i owned), but I just don't think it will be sufficient for Professional recording. I used to have a Dell XPS 17 and it was stolen. That's why I bought another one.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 31,169 posts.

17-Jul-2012, 10:12 AM #2
Not going to work for a few reasons;
1 Unless the windows install on your toshiba is a retail and not oem, it violates the eula.
2 Different hardware. The system will not boot unless you follow a procedure outlined at the top of the forum.

In short, you need to install the os and apps on whatever system you want to use.
Computer Specs
Member with 3,684 posts.

Experience: Advanced
17-Jul-2012, 10:18 AM #3
You can exchange the harddrives however you will have to reinstall everything.Plus you have to make sure both drives are both SATA or both IDE laptops.You just cant turn on the computer and expect it to magically work it wont.Putting the toshiba harddrive into the dell is all well and good but heres the problem the dell computer wont recognize the stuff that was in the toshiba.You will have to do a complete reinstall because its going to need the correct dell drivers etc and its going to have to be reactivated.Plus the fact one has windows 7 home one has windows 7 pro.They cant be mixed and matched they use 2 different COA stickers.Hopefully you have a Dell oem copy of windows 7 pro or a retail copy of 7 pro that has a valid COA sticker thats never been used before on any computer.If im wrong on this im sure someone will correct me .
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!