Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Question about installing an SSD drive onto my PC

(!)

Member with 47 posts.

20-Jul-2012, 07:42 PM #16
Well, I've used HDtune and HDD Sentinel to check the existing 500gb HD I'm using, and Sentinel tells me its got about 70 days left of use and 23% health. Both programs say that the HD has 244 bad sectors on the disc. There really is no way to fix this is there?

Rather than risk problems in the near future, I figure I might as well just get the Crucial SSD, and a new mech HD as well. I was looking at getting a Western Digital blue Caviar as seen at this link: http://www.umart.com.au/pro/products...id=7&sid=70535

Would that be a decent enough HD to go with the Crucial SSD? Just for storing files and everything? I mean I know its a really cheap HD, but I figure it should be okay just for that sort of thing.

One other thing--I do a lot of 3D rendering and game development. The software is always writing to the HD, so would I want that sort of stuff installed onto the SSD or the mech HD?

Thanks again. I really appreciate all the awesome help I've received so far.

Last edited by xhaydenx; 20-Jul-2012 at 07:47 PM..
Member with 47 posts.

20-Jul-2012, 07:46 PM #17
crjdriver - one thing I wanted to clear up. You said I'd be wanting to plug the SSD into the grey ports on my MB, but I looked at it, and there are only two light blue, one white and one dark blue ports. The ASUS manual says the lighter blue ones are Sata 3.0gbs and the other two are 6.0 gbs. Are the 3.0 ones the right ones?

thanks.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 31,149 posts.

21-Jul-2012, 08:44 AM #18
They must have changed the color on the newer model board. Yes, as long as it is an intel sata3 port, it is fine.
Account Disabled with 1,906 posts.

Experience: Between Vast & Half-Vast
21-Jul-2012, 02:49 PM #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by xhaydenx View Post
Well, I've used HDtune and HDD Sentinel to check the existing 500gb HD I'm using, and Sentinel tells me its got about 70 days left of use and 23% health. Both programs say that the HD has 244 bad sectors on the disc. There really is no way to fix this is there?

Rather than risk problems in the near future, I figure I might as well just get the Crucial SSD, and a new mech HD as well. I was looking at getting a Western Digital blue Caviar as seen at this link: http://www.umart.com.au/pro/products...id=7&sid=70535

Would that be a decent enough HD to go with the Crucial SSD? Just for storing files and everything? I mean I know its a really cheap HD, but I figure it should be okay just for that sort of thing.

One other thing--I do a lot of 3D rendering and game development. The software is always writing to the HD, so would I want that sort of stuff installed onto the SSD or the mech HD?

Thanks again. I really appreciate all the awesome help I've received so far.
WD Blue drives are decent performers, but I'd suggest that a WD Black would be more appropriate in terms of performance. Once you've used an SSD for a while, you're going to find waiting on any HDD annoying. If 500 GB is enough storage, I'd consider this drive instead. I think you'll find the difference in performance well worth the extra cost. All of the systems I've built with SSDs have included 1TB or larger WD Black drives, and I have to say that they perform really, really well.

While it's true that the NAND Flash memory does indeed wear out from repeated writes, the lifespan of the drive should still be comparable to a conventional HDD. In other words, don't be afraid to treat it just as you would any other primary drive in your computer. The premature failures you see in SSDs are generally controller related, just like early failures in HDDs. Back up early and often.
Member with 47 posts.

22-Jul-2012, 01:40 AM #20
Snagglegaster - I can get the WD caviar black for an extra $20. I'm not too fussed about speed for the HDD. I'll only be using it to watch videos, play music, store files and render images to, so I doubt I'll need the extra speed.

I'm also considering this drive: http://www.umart.com.au/pro/products...id=7&sid=79800

I have a Seagate barracuda at the moment. HD sentinel and others said it had problems and doesn't have much life left, but its lasted me 500 days worth of on-time, which I thought was decent.

One thing I was wondering--I know the SSD will always be powered on when I'm using the PC, but will the HDD always be on as well? Or can I make it so it only boots up when I'm accessing files stored on it?

Last edited by xhaydenx; 22-Jul-2012 at 01:59 AM..
Account Disabled with 1,906 posts.

Experience: Between Vast & Half-Vast
22-Jul-2012, 10:52 AM #21
WD drives are generally more reliable than Seagates, and have been my preferred drives for a lot of years now. Though I have to say that I have owned and sold a lot of Seagates over the years; I just don't think their quality is where it should be right now. Whether your HDD runs all the time is really dependent on your operating system and the power options it offers. I think the amount of electricity you save by having a hard drive powered down (or by buying any of those Green drives) is inconsequential. Frankly, at 60, I have no patience left and I don't want to wait for anything. I work on enough slow, clunky computers and at the end of the day I want the best performance from mine that I can get.
Member with 47 posts.

22-Jul-2012, 05:05 PM #22
Snagglegaster- I did own two WD HDDS a couple of years back and they both died on me. Never had a problem with Seagate ones myself, but my WD external have been perfect, so I'm willing to try their internals again.

Probably gonna order the Crucial M4 and the Caviar Blue today. I've seen a few people complaining that the Blacks are louder than the blues and that the difference between 16 and 32 buffer sizes is near unnoticeable. I'll be using the SSD as my system drive anyway, so I doubt I'll notice.

The mech HD is just going to be for downloading things to, and also for sending renderings to. I move everything off to externals anyway for storage.
Computer Specs

22-Jul-2012, 06:14 PM #23
The black drive is the better drive; dual motor supports and dual processors. Not quite to the level of a raptor or enterprise type drive however better than a blue or green drive.
Member with 47 posts.

25-Jul-2012, 06:13 PM #24
I ended up getting the blue drive and the Crucial SSD. Amazing what a performance boost you get from these things.

Install was painless, and I only had to download a program to update the firmware. Didn't need a Cd or anything.

So far just putting programs and maybe some games on there.

I download a fair bit of stuff. I'm better off not putting that sort of stuff on the SSD right? Like my music library or videos, etc. It's better to have those on the mech HDD, is that correct?

Is there anything else I need to know about SSDs? I read not to defrag, but is that about it?

Thanks again for all the help.
Computer Specs

25-Jul-2012, 06:26 PM #25
As you have now seen a ssd is the single biggest boost to performance you can do to a modern system.
You can update from windows however I prefer to update from the boot CD that is available on the crucial site; it removes windows from the task.

Data files ie mp3s, docs, etc should probably go on the mech drive. Use the ssd for the os and apps such as office.
As long as you are using win7 [and you did a clean install on the ssd] TRIM should be active. This helps level wear on the drive.

As with any drive, you need to have a backup. If your only copy of data/work files is on the mech drive, expect to one day lose those files. All drives fail; it is only a question of when your drive will fail. This is why we stress backups SO much.
Member with 47 posts.

27-Jul-2012, 05:44 PM #26
Yep, these SSDs are great. Glad I upgraded.

I've got all my Data on the mech drive. Moved all my user folders to there as well. Trim is activated and I followed a optimization guide for SSDs. All's good.

Thanks a lot for all the help!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!